Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

my 4.6 is running very rough at idle, I've already replaced all spark plugs and have disconnected each injector one by one to see if it is s cylinder in particular - no change, which means it's running poorly on all cylinders.

When I accelerate while in park, above 1500/2000 up to 4000 it runs silky smooth, so it isn't fuel delivery or spark related.

On my cheap OBD I am getting a P1178 code, which is related to the mass air flow sensor.

So now the question is: Should I replace it and witch one should I buy? Does anyone have a good tested used that I could purchase?

The prices are all over the place for this part.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
might be worth trying MAF cleaner first. disconnect the MAF section of the intake and you'll see the metal wire exposed. be careful not to touch it but spray it in short, strong bursts to give it a cleaning action. off the shelf CRC brand makes an MAF specific cleaner that's safe for plastic housings, cheap and ez to try.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I will be receiving a contact cleaner for electronics by tomorrow.

Let's see.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
nice — i think you just need to be careful the dirt drips away from the sensor in the end, and to give it ample drying time. nothing scary but there are some precautions to make sure you don't harm the MAF and end up with the car not starting at all — good luck

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Is yours GEMS or THOR? An oem maf for Thor can be sourced for a reasonable price now brand new. I don't have GEMS so don't have any price reference for GEMS maf, but I hear it runs significantly higher than a maf for Thor. Referencing a price for a Thor spec maf, you can typically find a Bosch oem maf for just over $100 in the US.

Once the filament goes bad on a maf, you typically have to replace it. If yours is just dirty, you may be lucky and get by with cleaning. Chances are greater that the filament is bad, though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hello,

Yes, I have a GEMS, which makes it difficult.

Island 4x4 does not give warranty on the low cost MAF.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
462 Posts
I think your best bet might be to try and find a couple of good used ones. I grab them whenever I see them so I have three or four on the shelf.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, but the issue is exactly that, how can you be certain that it's a "good one"?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts