RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just joined up, having trouble with my old P38 4.6 (Gems).
I can start it every time on the button first turn when the engine temperature is either cold or just warming up. However , when the engine has reached full running temperature and is switched off for a short while, it will not restart easily. You have to crank the starter for several 10/15 second bursts, but it will not fire. If and when it does catch it runs very lumpy and not on all 8 cylinders. Its like its flooded in old terms when we had carburettors. Other than that it runs well, does not burn oil or smoke.
Anyone out there having this issue? Be glad of any ideas. It'll be a sensor.......but which one?

Regards
Steve

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Might be a sensor or could be leaking injectors so it really is flooded. Run it until it is warm, leave it for a few minutes and check the fuel rail pressure at the Schrader valve on the rail. If there isn't any, that's the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks lads, asking around at work, others were of the opinion that it could be injectors too. As this is not my every day and it’s parked away from home I’ll have a look at these things when I get a chance. Best regards. Steve. ??

·
Registered
423 Posts
I will say this , and it has happened 3x now. If I go to the cheap gas station for a period of time my truck would starts and stumbled for 5 seconds or so. Then I switch back to the premium gasoline and the problem goes away. I believe that the cheap gas can separate or attract moisture(i am not sure of this) but that is what it seems like. Good Luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point. As she only averages 6 mpg when in the quarry I’m always looking for the best deal on the cost of fuel��. Maybe I’ll try premium as well trying the two other checks given above. ��

1 - 6 of 6 Posts