RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone worked out the precise quantity of fluid required to get the level from the bottom mark to the top mark on the dip stick?
Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
It defies logic to even go about and measure that amount since in normal care and maintenance of an auto box oil level is dependent on two things:

1. Engine at idle
2. Gearbox oil temperature. Cold: At minimum mark
Hot (above 40 degrees C): At maximum mark

If it’s hot and the level appears too low, then add some until you’ve reached max.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
That's not the correct process kretslopp. This is:
BTW I'm reliably informed by the Ministry of Pointless Metrics that it's 250 ml between min and max

CHECK/TOP UP AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID - up to 99MY
CAUTION: When replacing the dipstick, ensure that the handle lugs fully engage with tube.
NOTE: Check the fluid level only when the engine and gearbox are cold.
1. Ensure vehicle is level, then select ’P’ (park) and start the engine.
2. With the engine running at idle speed and both footbrake and hand brake applied, move the selector lever to position ’1’ and then back to position ’P’.
3. Still with the engine running remove dipstick, wipe using lint free cloth.
4. Reinsert the dipstick fully and withdraw again to check the level.
5. Check fluid level registers between MAX and MIN marking on dipstick. For fluid recommendations. See LUBRICANTS, FLUIDS AND CAPACITIES, Information.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah all right that works too and a lot more details.
I admit, my method is a generic one that works for many different automatic gearboxes and it does not lead to overfill.

Always consult the manual and be sceptic of the various keyboard heroes of the internet.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
BTW I'm reliably informed by the Ministry of Pointless Metrics that it's 250 ml between min and max

That sounds about right. I foolishly assumed that it was a litre between min and max. After changing the fluid, checked it as per RAVE (as posted by Orangebean) and the level was at the Min mark so added another litre. The result was fluid being blown out the breather for the next 1,000 miles or so......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts