RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of replacing head gasets on a 99 P38 4.0. Considering the complaints I've seen on head gaskets, this one's done well to go 315,000 km. before failing. I received with the kit new valve seals, but am not sure about how to install them without destroying them. They seem to go on pretty tight. Is there a special tool?

Thanks for any replies.

Scorpie in Canada

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Assuming you have the heads apart.....
Remove old seals with whatever you have handy, and clean all around the seats.
Apply some assembly lube to the seats and then rest the new seal onto it. Be sure to NOT have the valve inside it at the time.
Grab a 1/4" drive deep socket that will fit over the top of the seal, but push on the lower part, where it flares out to sit over the valve seat. I normally try to put the socket into a 1/4" drive spinner handle and just push it on by hand. Some will click into place like that, others need a tap with a mallet. Cant remember the size of the socket that works best, been building other motors lately and my memory is getting worse the older I get....:-?
Apply more assembly lube onto the valve stem when you push them up into the head.

Martin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Martin,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input. I am not a trained mechanic, but I bought the factory manual when I bought the vehicle and as I see it, it assumes you are a factory or dealer trained mechanic. What you say makes total sense. Thanks very much for that.

Hal

Victoria, B.C. Canada

P.S. - The old girl's been pretty good to me and I'm not ready to give her up yet. That's the P38, not my wife. They're both good!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you can afford it, buy new ARP Head Stud Kit, far far superior to the standard head bolts (which should be replaced anyway)

One mod I do on every Rover V8 engine - irrespective of size

Nige

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nigel. I've never heard of them, but I did buy a new set of bolts. I'll have to look into this.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,766 Posts
ARB head studs have been covered several times. They are definately the only way to go if you are going to keep your rig long term. They provide far more even torque, single plane tightening and are reuseable should you ever need to. A bit of searching on the web for ARB 124-4003 and you can find them for not all that much more than the standard stretch bolts. Summit Racing has usually been the least expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts