RangeRovers.net Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
342 Posts
It will need to learn. The way it works is that the ECU has a programmed fuelling map that, assuming everything is as it was when it came out of the factory, will keep the fuelling correct under all load and revs conditions. The short term fuel trims alter to keep the mixture correct under all conditions but if they are always adjusting one way, the long term trims then adjust to get the short term trims back to the mid point. Resetting teh trims puts everything back to default so it will need to learn. It needs a mixture of conditions, cruising at small throttle opening, light acceleration, heavy acceleration, cruising at high revs and an uphill load to fully learn. On initial startup it will also run a default cold start map, and the only adjustment you have there is getting the air valve steps correct when warm which will put it in the right operating range for a cold start.
If this is the default tune and no fuel controller I’d see what other tricks are available. Last thing you want to do is lean out under WOT

I’d ask XJREngineer on the jag forums, he knows GEMS better than most of us.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
So this morning I started it and revés to 1800rpm, so I let it warm up and went on the freeway for the first time and just on super steep uphill it hesitated slightly so I babbled it. Then I took this video sorry about bad quality hard to see but fuel trims are on it. Then on my next video after warm it idled little less but still high. I am sure I still need to tweak the screw a little more. But I do have a really dumb question I cleaned a while back my stepper motor with mineral spirits cuz it was so dirty. Do you guys think I messed it up?

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
The reflection makes seeing the lambda voltage difficult but it can be seen to being alternating between 0 and 5V so that is good. Bank 1 short term trim is switching too but always going slightly negative but as the long term is now sitting negative too, it is learning nicely. Bank 2 is getting there too. You shouldn't have done any damage to the stepper, but if it is idling at 1800 rpm, it still needs adjusting or the throttle butterfly isn't closing off fully. Have a look at the idle steps on the air valve (under Inputs, Air and Idle). If it is showing 0 that means it is fully closed and the air is getting in there past the throttle butterfly or the adjusting screw.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So I cleaned all the sensors and wile I was doing that I noticed when I re sealed with that last gasket I over did it and the inside of the plenum was a lot of excess 🙈🤯. So I cleaned it out and it does not idle high no more but when I start it it sounds like it wants to die then after a bit it fixes it self. Do you guys think I should re set the adaptive values since the was a lot of sealer this whole time?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hooked up the hoses to the bottom of the throttle where coolant flows and car started running normal no issues that was awesome. I was waiting for a gasket and had it by passed this whole time.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts