RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi have need of some help and advice..
the problem I am having is that when driving I get a stutter/missing on part throttle and when asking for a little power (exiting a junction)
Have a code reader and have no codes or lights to give any insight as to what is wrong, the only thing that was amiss was the TPS was not giving a 0% to 100% reading (since changed for a new one).
Have been thinking it is and Air flow meter or coil problem as having ruled out fuel (have gas conversion and it has same problem on gas as petrol)
Would like advice as don't want to just throw money at a lot of new parts without finding the real problem..

Car runs and idles just fine starts fine ..

thanks in advance .yours James.

·
Registered
359 Posts
How are the sparkplugs? What brand?
They run the best on Champions, and on LPG you put the electrodes on 0.5mm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sparkplugs are all fine (champion) was the first thing I looked at along with the HT leads.
The stuttering is more like a total loss of ignition for a second or two which is leading me to think it's the Air flow meter.
Thanks for the reply ..

·
Registered
165 Posts
At night mist the coil pack and plug leads to check for leakage - my miss was coil pack on my gems 4.6. Easy fixed.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I 2nd tats on double checking the coil pack. Had a slight miss at idle with my failing coil pack. Coil packs are pretty easy to test with a basic multimeter. When you say you checked the HT leads, how did you go about this? Just visual inspection? Swapping with another cylinders cables?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 4.6 had been stuttering and just wasn't keeping up when taking off throttle or trying to move off at low speed. My Land Rover whisperer (local mech) said it was 'sticky valves".

Had plugs and leads replaced (which were shot and makes you wonder why LRW hadn't done something about it at regular service times). But I also had the engine flushed. LRW had me take it on long drive (350k+) with whatever he put in system. Returned so he could flush it out; offsider tells me the oil read is now liquid amber in lieu of black. BUT whether it was plugs or carbon build-up on valves (LRW diagnosis) it now runs like a Singer sewing machine; smooth as silk! Power now back at low revs and even gear changes are smoother.

So maybe an engine flush? to remove carbon build-up. Mine is round 18yrs old; orig owner had short replacement under Warranty at 80k. Truck is coming up 20 but engine block a bit younger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little more Info for you helpers..
When started the engine runs great ( no missing smooth running) It,s only with load that I get what can only be describer as a total loss of ignition for a second or two .
This happens whether on Petrol or LPG. it's not a single cylinder miss more like all missing ..
Could it be something as simple as the crank angle sensor??? though had this replaced less then 10k miles ago..
Thanks for all the help ..

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
not sure if the p38 shares the speed sensor with D 1 of same vintage, anyhow 96, 97, 98 D1 petrol US model had issues with speed sensor, being a tuned piezo crystal the sensor would loose tune. it would read well and engine idled excellent but upon engine load, (merging, passing, heavy throttle) half the engine, (odd bank) would misfire, if you eased into it you could run it to 100 mph, it did not make sense. i discovered the issue by graphing the sensor, upon ordering I found there had been a manufacturing issue.
may be worth checking into it with a graph scanner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts