RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have not posted for quite a while now. Just needed to confirm my problem is a "real" accumulator issue:
1. my brake fluid low message came on 4 weeks ago - topped up and no issues
2. lately (last week and a half), I feel the brakes are not as strong as before.
3. in the morning when I take a look at my brake fluid level before starting the car, the level is almost to the cap, but, when I start the engine, the level settles down to between maximum and minimum.
4. related to item(3), in the morning when I first start the engine and I drive out of the garage, brakes are very weak until after a few minutes.
5. all diagnostic lights - brakes, ABS are off and do not indicate a fault (turn off after 20-30 metres).
6. the accumulator whines everytime I step on the brakes.
Can somebody please confirm that this is indeed an accumulator fault and that this needs to be replace to correct my issues?
Really appreciate all your feedback.
Best regards,
Noele

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
9/10 times when someone questions the accumulator, it is. Unfortunately diagnosing one is pretty tough to do 100% of the time. You can try a used one and see if it helps... it'll at least put a band aid on it for awhile.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Noele said:
Hello! I have not posted for quite a while now. Just needed to confirm my problem is a "real" accumulator issue:
1. my brake fluid low message came on 4 weeks ago - topped up and no issues
2. lately (last week and a half), I feel the brakes are not as strong as before.
3. in the morning when I take a look at my brake fluid level before starting the car, the level is almost to the cap, but, when I start the engine, the level settles down to between maximum and minimum.
4. related to item(3), in the morning when I first start the engine and I drive out of the garage, brakes are very weak until after a few minutes.
5. all diagnostic lights - brakes, ABS are off and do not indicate a fault (turn off after 20-30 metres).
6. the accumulator whines everytime I step on the brakes.
Can somebody please confirm that this is indeed an accumulator fault and that this needs to be replace to correct my issues?
Really appreciate all your feedback.
Best regards,
Noele
Noele,

Your issue is the accumulator. The job of the ABS pump is to build the pressure. The job of the accumulator is to store it. If your lights go out and the pump stops running, the system has reached its specified pressure. If after one brake application, the pump starts running again, the "ACCUMULATOR" is faulty. You should be able to apply the brakes three to five times before the pump needs to replenish the lost pressure. ibis1 ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts