RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can shine some light on this issue i have with my RR. My both OSF and NSF door locks packed in, so i got two second hand ones. I fitted the drivers side one and it responds from the fob, now the passenger side one i had to destroy because it was jammed in the SUPERLOCK position. Finally after releasing the door to gain access i removed the old lock, upon offering the replacement part i noticed it has two sockets on it, where my old one had wires coming out from motor body and one big plug to plug it in. So wiring in the car has the big main plug to connect, but i cant connect the other plug on the car, i tried the lock with the fob, it opens fine but doesn't lock. I just thought it might work but obviously the smaller plug on the new one doesn't match car wiring, as described above my old one the wires ran into motor case. I know it is now obvious the door motor is the wrong type, but would i be right in thinking that if one of the front doors "i.e in my case the NSF" is not the correct one, would this stop the rear doors operating also. And would this cause my alarm to keep going off through the night..

Many thanks

Alan

D

·
0 Posts
There are two main types of locks used (depending on age): Some with one socket/connector, some with two.... as you have found..

Similarly some locks have an integrated socket and some a (single) flying lead - and this second type can easily be matched up to the two-socket type (where the second socket has just one black wire) with a bit of hard-wiring (and ingenuity)....

See A/B in photo on:-

http://www.p38rangerover.com/central-locking/door-lock-actuator.html

- although the most simple answer is 'like-for-like' replacement - of course !

As for this wiring mis-match affecting the rear locks etc I would not be surprised !

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Back in the day I had exactly this, battery drained and both locks fried, iirc the only difference between the two connections is the routing of one Black ground, find these two and join them together and your done...not quite, you need to fit the 3rd Generation RF receiver at the earliest opportunity to prevent more heartache.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi davewp38,
Thanks for your reply to my issues. I have inspected the photos you supplied showing the various types of plug connectors i.e A or B. My type looks like plug "A" can i also check with you that the small plug with the single black wire on it was cable tied to the motor body and not a pull out plug ? The replacement one i received is the two plug type which is currently on the car but only opens on the fob and doesn't lock on the fob, because the the plug on the car wiring with the single black wire will not plug into the second socket of the two plug type on the car, can i quote you on the part where you reckon the single black wire can be hard wired into the one main big plug. Please could you give me an idiots guide on how to do this please.

Best Regards

Alan

D

·
0 Posts
Yes, that black wire is just on a 'loose' connector: Basically the colours on the wires on the two plugs/sockets match up like-for-like..... and I have no idea why they changed them from one type to the other....!

If you check out that link I provided they also illustrate the LH and RH (front) lock wiring diagrams (with colours); Note the 'missing' black wire to the door outstation (via the microswitches... and probably back to earth)...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi davewp38
Just checked out your last post, and i can't for the hell of it understand it. My head is spinning here now lol. Could you post a picture of the hard wired system so i can clearly see what to do.

Regards

Alan

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
The door latches are a progression like many other parts on our rigs. I for one would never start cutting wires and butchering parts on my rig. The person that is most on top of latches is Scotty. He has done an indepth comparision of the differences and their wiring. Hopefully he will chime in.

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry, Alan - sounds like I increased your confusion rather than reduce it ?! I was merely referring to the diagram as (partly) below; However if you are too unfamiliar/uncomfortable then the best approach is always just to make sure you have the same lock/connector arrangement again (out of the choice of 3) as the replacement.... of course: Much less like to 'fry' things that way ??

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everso much Dave,

Will give it a go, looks like i only need to attach the single black earth to the door wiring black earth.

Regards

Alan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts