RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My p38 recently has started to make a ticking noisy which to me sounds like hydraulic lifters, pushrods, rockers. I was told to flush engine out as sludge and varnish accumulates on the parts and restricts oil flow, hence the lifters not creating correct valve clearance. So i did an engine flush and complete oil change. Started her up and lovely and smooth not a whisper. I thought wow thats the way to go, but today after 50 miles after oil change the ticking is back not as bad as before, but never the less its back. Was also told to keep flushing and change oil and it will eventually sort things out for me. Has any of you guys/gals out there suffered with this issue, and how did you resolve it, would love to have some more info on this.

Best Regards

Alan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep on your oil change/flush path - did you use any type of cleaner prior to flushing? Be very careful when/if you do this....cleaners greatly reduce the viscosity of oil (because they are trying to break the oil down) and if you are not careful/run the engine for too long (usually no more than minutes at idle) with the cleaner in the engine you run the very real risk of snapping a pushrod. I snapped a rod once in an old chevy - actually broke with such force that it punched a hole the size of a quarter out of the engine block! Use full synthetic also. This may not work, but it won't hurt, and is the cheapest/least labor place to start....

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
If they are tapping when warm, then the front cover or lifters themselves are the normal culprit. Either it's worn on the body, where the oil pump gears sit, or the relief valves are not doing their job correctly as far as the front cover goes. Lifters are normally a bad check valve.
Sorry, not a big believer in miracle fixes myself, but hope it works for you in this instance. Mind, by the time you finish with the flushes etc, that is money that could be used on a more permanent fix isn't it?
An old pushrod V8 from the 60's, and full synthetic oil? Not for me. I run good oil and change within 3k miles when I also grease, check coolant, hoses, and so on, never had an issue using that method and neither have my customers.

Martin

·
Registered
1996 Range Rover P38A
146 Posts
I don't believe in miracle fixes either. Ticking lifters usually means low oil pressure, why you have low oil pressure could be another subject. As Martin pointed out. Could be sticking oil by-pass valves, worn oil pump, worn mains or an accumulation of all three, either way the pressure isn't getting to the lifters. I'd start with the front cover as that's where you will find the oil pump and the by-pass valves. What mileage do you have on the clock?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies all,
She is a 4.6 HSE 1997 157050, i do hope its not mains or bigend bearings or even small end bearings. Just don't have the money to deal with that kind of repair this side of christmas.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
If no oil light etc, I wouldn't be concerned over the rod and main bearings mate.
Oil pump itself would be my guess, along with worn lifters.

Martin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Martin,
That was music to my ears mate, i have no oil light on, only obviously when i start the engine but goes out instantly. It pulls like hell and isn't loosing a drop of coolant. Just sometimes it is so embarresing to hear that tick tick when at the lights, steals a bit of my street cred lol. Can i say also it is not ticking all the time only now and again, would i be correct to say if it was main or big end bearings it would be there all the time ?

Thanks in advance

Alan

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Martin,
Sorry i forgot to ask, when you say the oil pump could be suspect ? Does that mean new oil pump rotors replace, or the whole front cover ?????

Alan

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Street cred? In Swansea?:lol:
Sorry, couldn't resist.
If there was a major issue with the big ends/main bearings, there would be a lower tone noise, and it would be there more when warm/hot. The thinner the oil, the louder a bad rod or main bearing gets, so I think you are good there mate.
Now, the oil pump could be either or really. I have seen front covers get a little chewed up inside, causing low oil pressure, or could just be the oil pump gears themselves. If it's a relief valve issue, they can be fixed by popping them out an cleaning up, then reinstall with new o rings (19mmx3mm IIRC).
Not sure how much you can get a new front cover for over there, but it would be a good call to get a new one. The coolant has to be drained, water pump removed, and so on anyway, so a new part just makes sense if the price is right. The relief valve o rings can be done with it installed though, and a few members have done them that way. Maybe worth trying them first if time permits?
The front cover will also have to be removed to put a camshaft/lifter set in too, so a little more food for thought there.
I know, never ends huh?;)

Martin

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sorry to hijack the post...just a little bit:hand:...recently had what I thought was noisy lifters and discovered one of the rocker arms was missing the pad which contacts the top of the valve stem!!! Not only that, when I had a look at the others, one of the other arms dropped a pad as I was handling it.... these were aftermarket arms ...alloy..bought from a reputable indi in Sydney a bout 5 yrs ago but only fitted about 25,000 km ago.

Am wondering if there's recommendation on steel arms with the pads machined into them. I have tried to find the FederalMogul ones recommended by David Hardcastle in his reference work on Rover V8s but don't seem to be able to source them. Thoughts welcome.
Sorry again for the hijack
cheers

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If this is any help, I had the tappy tap in both of mine, one worse than the other, and I too was embarrassed, as I come in for quite a bit of teasing for driving an old bus here ...... any way, I'm delighted to report that the serious tap disappeared after an oil change preceded by plenty of straight line driving at high speed. That was a yhear ago and all's well (taps head quickly).

The oil had been changed regularly before by the PO, and the oil used by my indi is not miracle stuff, in fact it comes in barrels and I've never heard of it ..... he says it is good, of course!

He had also given me a can of "engine cleaner" said to clean out the oil ways, but something tells me not to use it.

HTH.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys,

Thanks all very much for your kind efforts and knowledge on these great old buses. All taken on board and will sort out as soon as i can. Once again a very big thank you for your help everyone

Best Regards

Alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts