RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the dreaded P2096 Lean Bank 1 After Cat code for about 4 months now. I can't find any obvious exhaust leaks in either the exhaust of intake side of the engine yet. I will be smoking both sides this weekend to check for leaks. I originally replaced the Bank 1 post cat O2 sensor with some generic O2 sensor a week or so after first receiving the code and it went away for about 2 months, but then the sensor just failed. So its had a series of new sensor in it over the last month, both aftermarket, and LR versions and the code remains. I tried one of those O2 sensor extensions that people use with the P0420 codes, that didn't do anything either.

Last night I finally got a good PCV valve replacement and installed it and fired up the SDD software and ran the fuel trim data report and I am definately lean on bank 1 on both the upstream and down stream sensors. I'm riding the edge of being outside the normal range on Bank 2 but still inside the stable range (+/- 8.5) for the most part.

About the same time that this code appeared I started getting an oil leak (I think its oil haven't fund the source yet) on the passenger side of the car at the rear corner of the engine. The drips show up on the front right corner of the transmission oil pan on the fins, but its not coming from the transmission, so it must be a valve cover gasket leak. Its a very minor leak, I had to add maybe a pint of oil during the last oil change period (7500 M or so) where as before I have never had to add anything. I don't see how that kind of a small vacuum leak (if it does leak into the valve cover when the engine is running) could affect just bank 1 but I though I would mention it. The numbers in the valve trim sheet below were taken after i had my first replacement PCV valve stick open and it pulled about 1 quart of oil into the intake last week as i drove it to work. That gave me misfire codes on my bank 2 cylinders 2, 4, 6 and 8 (surprisingly none on Bank 1), so my plugs may still be partially fouled. I've got a new set coming and I will replace them all this weekend, along with a new set of coils (I do have 188K miles on the engine). I'm also going to replace the upstream bank 1 O2 sensor, and see what that gets me. I know theres a software update for the ECM (and my old version of SDD even tells me that theres an update - I just can't get the file) that MAY fix this, but going to the dealer is the last option. If i do have to go that route, I'll make an appointment to get my front brake hoses replaced (still haven't done that) and get them to update the ECM at the same time.

Any thoughts on the fuel trim numbers and where to go from here? I will pull another set today as I had just replaced the PCV valve (probably for the first time since new) about 10 minutes before i took these readings and see if there is any changes one way or the other.
102918 fuel trim.jpg

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the next set after about 40 miles, and an hours run time. The P2096 code has not reappeared yet but I have faith it will in the next day or so. It usually sets itself as a pending code almost immediately and turns on the MIL shortly after the second restart, but as of this set it is not even a pending code yet. The bank 1 side is still lean, just not as much so far. The blacked out cells are cells that are less than 50% adapted at this point.
103118 fuel trim.jpg

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
48 hours later, no work done to the vehicle, added a can of BG 44K to the gas tank last night and drove it 28 miles this morning. Readings are starting to drift down away from the lean condition. No P2096 code, or pending code in the PCM. Tomorrow will be new plugs and new coils and see which way we go from there. Still have a couple of "leanish" readings in the .5g/rev in the 680 rpm range on Bank 1 (11.6), and in the .85g/rev 1800 rpm range on both banks (11.2 and 10.4) but they are all richer than they were. I think I'm leaning towards an old worn out PCV valve and possibly some gummed up or just old fuel injectors as being the main cause of this particular problem. Next set with new Irridium Laser plugs and coils all around.

110218 fuel trim.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Following with interest. Have same lean problem gas or petrol and sometimes corrects itself !!! Also have Inballance bank 1 and 2 . Smoke test no help. Keep the posts coming

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far it appears that the PCV valve is the main culprit so far. I replaced it and the MAF, and I can't find any leaks in either the intake or the exhaust. So it could be either of those I suppose. I still have a leanish condition in the middle of that table on bank 1 (anything over 8 is out of the normal band, and over 15 will give your the P017X, and/or P209x codes eventually) but apparently its not bad enough to bring the code back. I put new plugs and coils into it today, the plugs because the first PCV valve I put in stuck open and sucked a pint of oil out of the crankcase on the way to work Monday and gave me misfires on 2, 4, 6, and 8 till I plugged it up. It was funny the codes were all on bank 2. The plugs were only about 30K miles old, and the ones in the back of the engine 5,7, and 6,8 were kind of fouled the front ones were OK. The coils just because mine are 188K old. I'm going to drive it another hundred miles and see where I am. So far the P2096 has not reappeared either as pending, or active.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel trims are still about the same as they were in the 11/2 set above. Still lean all around Bank 1 is more lean than Bank 2 and I've dropped about a half MPG off my all time average of 18.3. I was running thru the engine parameters on the computer tonight with the engine running at idle and found this?

intake timing 11-14-18.jpg

The bank 1 variable camshaft timing it about 5 degrees retarded from the bank 2 camshaft timing. Now the question is, is this a result of the lean condition in Bank 1, or is this what is causing the lean condition? While the timing does vary, the 5 degrees difference between the two banks remains more or less constant up thru about 3000 RPM (in neutral). Or does this have nothing to do with the lean condition. Theres no engine noises that I would attribute to a timing chain being loose, all I have is some slight tapping sounds (you have to open the hood and listen hard to hear it) that sound like slightly worn cam followers, and the fuel injectors clicking. Nothing else mechanical from the engine itself.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I had this fixed. Friday smoked the intake system couldn't find anything, so I pulled it all apart cleaned out the inside of the air filter box cleaned the MAF again this time using about 1/4 of the can, cleaned the throttle body, opened up the throttle blades scrubbed both sides with throttle body cleaner, put everything back together triple checking the joints to make sure they were tight, smoked it again - no leaks. Drove to NYC on Saturday averaged 19.2 MPG at about 70 mph average. returned today with 19.4 MPG average from the city to home with an overall average of 18.2 (driving in Manhattan killed to overall average) 0ver about 420 miles which is about the highest highway average I've ever had.
20181118_175005.jpg

So I pulled out the computer and found this:

20181118_194815_resized.jpg 20181118_194828_resized.jpg

Sub Feedback numbers, don't look bad;
20181118_194900_resized.jpg 20181118_194907_resized.jpg

No fault codes, or pending codes, but the bank 1 long term trims are almost high enough to eventually set the post cat lean codes again. Guess I'm going to have to pull and clean the injectors in my little ultrasonic cleaner over Thanksgiving weekend unless somebodies got a better idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts