RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search didn't pull up too much so need to reach out: Display shows gearbox fault, cel. Obd pulls P1703 transfer box line open fault. In limp mode while driving with no gear indicator and no transfer case operation. Only thing I was doing prior to this was replacing coolant from a water pump job. I did have RR idling for a bit with front end raised slightly (6in) for air pockets. Could the elevated front end somehow damage the transfer case? Any thoughts / advice most welcome.
mike

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
Nothing you could do while replacing the water pump should in any way impact the transfer case. Gearbox error and erroneous CEL are classic first signs of low voltage. Did the Rover sit for any length of time with the ignition on? Did you start and idle numerous times?

I would clear any codes and charge up the battery overnight and see how things look. What I can't figure out is why your gear indicator would be out. :think:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your point regarding low voltage is exactly what I thought, so I ran the electrical tests and the voltage numbers came in just at acceptable levels, not great. What made me think I might have damaged something is my loss of transfer case activation. And no, vehicle did not sit at all with ignition on without running. I have cleared codes only to have them come back each time without fail. If anything it does seem like alt. is not fully charging battery (13.99 at idle with no load) and thus in need of rebuild. Still thought idling with front end up slightly might have caused some damage since it was exactly after that that the gear box error showed up at display. Thanks though for the quick input. Taking tomorrow to check alt. and bat. Cheers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: confirmed alternator is sound and replaced battery for good measure. Cleared out all faults and gear box fault came right back. Gear indicator on display is still not illuminated, stuck in third, and can not engage low range or sport mode. A bit stumped. Anyone out there have any experience with this? Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I don't have specific experience with this code, but an open fault indicates a wire break. I would trace all wires related to transfer case, and make sure there aren/t any broken wires out there.

Don't know if there are any wires related to transfer case anywhere near the water pump, but the repair must have shifted something related to the transfer case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TheoR, on the same page myself, going over the schematic in rave and spending an hour or so poking around underneath, nothing. No chance a simple water pump install could sever a wire so scratching the head here. Looking more like a trip to the local shop. Thanks again,

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
469 Posts
Did you ever figure out this code?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts