RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my Innova 3130 code reader in the mail from amazon.com :dance:

got the following trouble code, P1703 Transfer Box Line Open Circuit Fault. I did a search on this forum, but came up with nothing that would help me figuring out the problem.

Any Range Rover Buddys out there got a ideal on what to look at :?: i will be happy to answer all questions.

Anyone in the Vancouver area of British Columbia with a P38...just let me know and i will try to read the DTC and reset the check engine light, even though that will fix the problem :crybaby2: ...at least you will know what it is. :clap:

mine is a 1996 4.0

·
Registered
800 Posts
Notwithstanding the code have you got any physical indication of a problem?

If this is the first time you have read the codes I would recommend clearing the fault code and then seeing if it comes back. It could be a really old fault code that came up once and teh problem is no longer present.

Apart from the order that the faults are logged I don't think that there is a date/time stamp to them - certainly my black box kit doesn't show one if I remeber correctly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gavin Short said:
Notwithstanding the code have you got any physical indication of a problem?
every thing works fine, including the transfer case

Gavin Short said:
If this is the first time you have read the codes I would recommend clearing the fault code and then seeing if it comes back. It could be a really old fault code that came up once and teh problem is no longer present.
this is a repeat offender. i starting to think there might be a stuck relay somewhere

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would never of though that i was the only person out there with this fault :doh:

can someone please help me with ideals on what the possible cause might be :?:
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

A fault describing open circuit fault could be pointing to an open circuit in other words a wire break.

The best way to start is to look up the circuits to and from the ecu and the BECM in the ETM and follow all connectors to and from ECU's and sensors checking for corrosion, water ingress and or loose connections. Clean all connections, reset the fault and see whether it comes back.

If it still comes back you have to start condsidering a new ECU.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jos Geuze said:
Hi

A fault describing open circuit fault could be pointing to an open circuit in other words a wire break.

The best way to start is to look up the circuits to and from the ecu and the BECM in the ETM and follow all connectors to and from ECU's and sensors checking for corrosion, water ingress and or loose connections. Clean all connections, reset the fault and see whether it comes back.

If it still comes back you have to start condsidering a new ECU.

Regards

Jos
thanks Jos, look like i got a lot of work ahead on me... :thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just an FYI;
it's been 18 days and the fault has not came back. i'm starting to think that this may have been a old fault that was related to the ratio control motor that failed me about 30 days ago.
:clap: :clap: :dance: :thumb: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Super_Monster said:
just an FYI;
it's been 18 days and the fault has not came back. i'm starting to think that this may have been a old fault that was related to the ratio control motor that failed me about 30 days ago.
:clap: :clap: :dance: :thumb: :clap: :clap:
the code came back.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
39 Posts
i got the same problem. /:(

i got it fiqured out to a problem between the BCM and transfer case control module. :think: i replaced the transfer control module, but the code came back. all the connectors are secured in the BCM and there is a slim chance there is a cut in the wiring as my back seats are never used. i think i might have a problem with the BCM...this means the code will stay :twisted: !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts