RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the SES light went ontoday while driving...

drove home with lots of engine vibes going on, signs of a misfire or lost of them...

ran the codes and I got P1300 an ignition code and 5 others for misfires of 5 cylinders...

to me it seems unlikely that 5 ignition coils went bad simultaneously, has anyone had this P1300 code before, anyone think this can be related to a melted PCV hose/s?

anyone?

buhler?

·
Registered
93 Posts
buhler,

PCV hoses or any hoses that allow unmetered air into the intake system will induce a lean condition which in turn can trigger misfires and set fault codes. ALWAYS start with the basics when attempting to diagnose any fault condition. Good luck! ibis1 ;)

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
When a coil fails, the misfire can be so bad that the powertrain ECU will also suspect the next firing cylinder as a misfire as well. Check which cylinders have been flagged, and then check the firing order. However, 5 out of 8 cylinders looks extreme. Are they a whole bank?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so for those of you out there that care about more than just rims and color combinations here is an update...

First a little back ground info is needed here, I bought this Range last december and it has NEVER had the engine worked on while ive owned it, with the exception of oil changes, in the time that ive owned it ive put about 18k miles on it...

So after i had it towed home i popped the covers off and the spark plug from cylinder number 6 was just laying there out of the head/cylinder. The sheath or rubber connection from the coil to the plug was destroyed and the side electrode on the plug was smashed.

Here is the really really strange part all of the threads to the plug and the head are all still intact...

From what I can gather after 9 months of ownership and about 18k miles, spark plug number 6 spun out of place, the area underneath the cover filled with fuel the plug continued to spark, ignited the area underneath the cover, damaged the plug and sheath cover of the coil and thus created a misfire for the rest of the coils around it.

I found a replacement sheath, so when i get that in ill throw a new plug in and cross my fingers that none of the coils or anything else went bad, if they are all fine ill replace the rest of the plugs.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
So what happened...
Alright so for those of you out there that care about more than just rims and color combinations here is an update...

First a little back ground info is needed here, I bought this Range last december and it has NEVER had the engine worked on while ive owned it, with the exception of oil changes, in the time that ive owned it ive put about 18k miles on it...

So after i had it towed home i popped the covers off and the spark plug from cylinder number 6 was just laying there out of the head/cylinder. The sheath or rubber connection from the coil to the plug was destroyed and the side electrode on the plug was smashed.

Here is the really really strange part all of the threads to the plug and the head are all still intact...

From what I can gather after 9 months of ownership and about 18k miles, spark plug number 6 spun out of place, the area underneath the cover filled with fuel the plug continued to spark, ignited the area underneath the cover, damaged the plug and sheath cover of the coil and thus created a misfire for the rest of the coils around it.

I found a replacement sheath, so when i get that in ill throw a new plug in and cross my fingers that none of the coils or anything else went bad, if they are all fine ill replace the rest of the plugs.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
887 Posts
Wow! I've had a plug come loose, but it made a whole lotta noise that got me looking at it before it actually came out. These cars are so insulated, I bet it covered the noise...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts