RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So after fixing my suspension compressor and driving around 40-50 miles, I got a CEL on my 06 RRS 4.4 with 160k miles - the fun never ends :roll:. The car was driving fine, didn't notice any slipping in the tranny, shifts were a bit on the slower jerkier side (especially down shifting). When i hooked up my code reader to the car it said it has a p0741 code "torque converter clutch stuck off".

When I bought this RRS a few weeks ago, I asked the previous owner if the tranny fluid had been done...he didn't know. I have it on my short list of things to do - along with a new pan and gasket.

My question is - is there something more I should be doing besides changing the fluid, pan and filter?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
from researching more, seems like it's gonna need some new solenoids in the tranny. should also note that i am hearing that rumble sound from under the car - sounds like you're running over a cattle guard. looks like some $$$ is about to be dished out on this rangie

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update: took the RRS to a local LR repair shop. they noticed i was a few quarts low on transmission fluid and that it was dirty, but also recommended doing the whole metal pan upgrade, which i did along with fresh fluid. it didn't fix the CEL (expected) - but they said it should be drivable, it will rev a few hundred RPM's higher, gas mileage (ha!) will suffer. they did theorize how it could be the solenoids ($700 job) or the actual torque converter ($2100 job).

they also said that there is a chance that the CEL will just eventually go away after the fresh fluid has been cycled enough times - that would be great.

but the cattle guard sound i was hearing was unrelated, turns out the rear bumper foam beam was loose.

thankfully i passed TX emissions last week before the CEL came on.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This code, to me, is self descriptive. It appears that, when the solenoid for the TCC energizes, the ECM does not see a drop in rpm. The person telling you that the code may go away may be right. I believe that the fluid may have oxidized in the trans, causing things, like the TCC, to stick. You might try changing the trans fluid several times. Use a high detergent fluid, which will clean the system. At this point, I do not believe the solenoids are defective, as the ECM can check this situation, using voltage and ground signals. The fluid passages are being switched by the solenoids, or a solenoid fault would be displayed. At this point, it appears that the ECM is expecting changes in the engine, like a drop in rpm, and engine loading, which would be precipitated by the TCC engaging. Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts