RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So real quick.

06 Full size HSE with NA 4.4L 154k miles, about 5500 hours

/when i left a store and went to start it, it tarted and immediately died. When I tried again nothing at all.
Back at house, still not running, the next morning, I go to start it, it runs and than dies, and doesn't run again. Check code, P0628, which I haven't seen any posts about? I know it is low pump voltage. I stuck my multi-meters test leads in the back of the connector to hold them n place, roughly battery voltage brief pulse for on position, than constant for start. I never really hear the pump. When I hadn't managed to get the connector off yet, I figured now may be a time to see if i could hear the fuel pump, since I had the carpet up, go start it, it runs fine. I shut it off, start it again, starts up fine. I drive it for 20 minutes, I never had any stuttering, take it to the redline, nothing has ever made me think the fuel pump may be going bad except when the thing didn't start. I stop at a store, go to start it, still runs fine again. Next day go to start it, back to starting and dying, than not starting at all. Was it just its last grasp at life? Right now I can start it, it dies, i can start it again, it runs and dies again.

I jumped the relay and swapped relays, no help. where is the valve for testing fuel pressure? I see none on the fuel rail

So is my fuel pump simply dead? I haven't actually seen anyone mention a fuel pump fail for the jag engine, so I am wondering if maybe there is something else I missed? Unless there is a bad connection IN the fuel tank, I just dead. The fuel pump connector itself doesn't seem badly corroded, nothing else I can think of.

And if so, can I buy JUST the motor or is it always sold as the octopus looking bundle of motor and tubing and sensors.

Also, the repair manual says release two clips on a lower part of the fuel tank, where exactly is that and how do i access it? Is it under the floor or am I suppose to be dropping the fuel tank or something

Shall I change the fuel filter while I am at it?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a crank/no-start situation. 2007 L322 HSE with just over 200k.

One morning I started up normally, drove to work, and parked. All was completely normal. Later that day I went to leave and had a powerful crank, but no start. Over 8-10 years a similar thing has happened perhaps three times (the first time about 10 years ago, most recently about 1.5-2 years ago), and always the engine has started after turning the ignition off and trying again, but not this time.

I tried again about 15 minutes later, still nothing and the battery was getting run down, so I had the vehicle towed home. Thinking it may be battery issue, I put the battery on a charger for several days, but it still cranks/no-start.

Code: P0628 - "Fuel Pump A Control Circuit Low"

Initially I had a code that indicated the immobilizer. At home, after fully charging battery, I cleared the immobilizer code and tried to start again. Ignition/starter was strong, but again it would not start. This is when I received the P0628 code.

In doing some research it appears that a faulty camshaft position sensor can also cause this, since it allegedly will prevent fuel pump and/or spark plugs from working.

Has anyone else encountered something like this? Thoughts/ideas? It looks like fuel pump replacement is a pain, and I'd like to eliminate other possibilities before going straight there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a crank/no-start situation. 2007 L322 HSE with just over 200k.

One morning I started up normally, drove to work, and parked. All was completely normal. Later that day I went to leave and had a powerful crank, but no start. Over 8-10 years a similar thing has happened perhaps three times (the first time about 10 years ago, most recently about 1.5-2 years ago), and always the engine has started after turning the ignition off and trying again, but not this time.

I tried again about 15 minutes later, still nothing and the battery was getting run down, so I had the vehicle towed home. Thinking it may be battery issue, I put the battery on a charger for several days, but it still cranks/no-start.

Code: P0628 - "Fuel Pump A Control Circuit Low"

Initially I had a code that indicated the immobilizer. At home, after fully charging battery, I cleared the immobilizer code and tried to start again. Ignition/starter was strong, but again it would not start. This is when I received the P0628 code.

In doing some research it appears that a faulty camshaft position sensor can also cause this, since it allegedly will prevent fuel pump and/or spark plugs from working.

Has anyone else encountered something like this? Thoughts/ideas? It looks like fuel pump replacement is a pain, and I'd like to eliminate other possibilities before going straight there.

Thanks.
Hello
I have the same problem. Did you solve your car problem? At the beginning, I thought it was a battery, but after I change it, the problem is not solved.

My car is Range Rover Sport 3.0 Diesel 2012. 160.000km.
I am getting these error codes ; p0627 ve p0628

my service said i have to change high pressure fuel pump but i dont agree with them. What is your suggestion?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts