RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

About a month ago, I noticed my 06 RRS (non-supercharged) had a really rough idle. Accelerations also seemed sluggish. A couple days later, it was so bad that I could barely drive it. I also got a "Reduced Engine Performance" warning on the dash. I plugged in my scanner and got P0441 (Evaporative Emission Control System - Incorrect Flow Detected) and P0301 (Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected). I assumed that the P0441 code just went "hand in hand" with a misfire. My first attempt to resolve the issue was new spark plugs. With 145K miles, they were long overdue. After new spark plugs, I was still getting the rough idle and the P0441/P0301 codes. I then swapped the coil pack from cylinder 1 to cylinder 3, and the misfire did move to cylinder 3. So, I put in a new coil pack on 3 and that completely fixed the problem. Idle and was great again, and I even noticed better fuel economy and all codes went away.

Now about a week ago, I noticed the rough idle start to come back. Not as bad as it was before, but it's defiantly there. I also noticed my combined MPG went down. I plugged in my scanner tool and the P0441 code was back.

I think I have an EVAP problem here. Here are my questions:
  • Could a bad EVAP system cause such a rough idle?
  • Would that have caused the damage to the coil pack in cylinder 1 in the first place?
  • Am I doing damage if I keep driving it like this?
Any guidance on diagnosing would be greatly appreciated. I checked the hose going from the purge valve to the throttle body, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Gas cap is also tight. I suspect a bad purge valve or charcoal canister?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi All,

About a month ago, I noticed my 06 RRS (non-supercharged) had a really rough idle. Accelerations also seemed sluggish. A couple days later, it was so bad that I could barely drive it. I also got a "Reduced Engine Performance" warning on the dash. I plugged in my scanner and got P0441 (Evaporative Emission Control System - Incorrect Flow Detected) and P0301 (Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected). I assumed that the P0441 code just went "hand in hand" with a misfire. My first attempt to resolve the issue was new spark plugs. With 145K miles, they were long overdue. After new spark plugs, I was still getting the rough idle and the P0441/P0301 codes. I then swapped the coil pack from cylinder 1 to cylinder 3, and the misfire did move to cylinder 3. So, I put in a new coil pack on 3 and that completely fixed the problem. Idle and was great again, and I even noticed better fuel economy and all codes went away.

Now about a week ago, I noticed the rough idle start to come back. Not as bad as it was before, but it's defiantly there. I also noticed my combined MPG went down. I plugged in my scanner tool and the P0441 code was back.

I think I have an EVAP problem here. Here are my questions:
  • Could a bad EVAP system cause such a rough idle?
  • Would that have caused the damage to the coil pack in cylinder 1 in the first place?
  • Am I doing damage if I keep driving it like this?
Any guidance on diagnosing would be greatly appreciated. I checked the hose going from the purge valve to the throttle body, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Gas cap is also tight. I suspect a bad purge valve or charcoal canister?

Thanks in advance!
You now know the misfire was due to the coil since it followed it, but indeed the rover will absolutely make a bad situation worse with their “restricted performance”.

I think we’ve eliminated the misfire for now but keep scanning periodically as you work through the EVAP error so you can keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. Yes, I think he misfire issue has been solved, but I worry that the EVAP problem may have caused the damage to that coil pack in the first place?

I guess I just need to figure out this EVAP problem. I think it could be one of 4 things:
  • Bad gas cap seal
  • Leak in a hose somewhere
  • Bad charcoal canister
  • Bad purge valve

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks for your help. Yes, I think he misfire issue has been solved, but I worry that the EVAP problem may have caused the damage to that coil pack in the first place?

I guess I just need to figure out this EVAP problem. I think it could be one of 4 things:
  • Bad gas cap seal
  • Leak in a hose somewhere
  • Bad charcoal canister
  • Bad purge valve
I agree with checking those things first. Will you be doing this yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the plan (for now anyways).

I just do not have much experience with EVAP systems and just don't know the correct way to diagnose it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems as though the fuel level has no effect on my symptoms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts