RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So several months ago I had the CEL & P0430 catalytic converter bank 2 code. After a few months I changed the spark plugs (I was at 145k & knew I was overdue for a while) and after a few days the CEL went out by itself. This was about 1 month ago.

It's time to renew the inspection, so just to see whether I had any "pending" codes or anything I checked it (Torque OBDII app) and it shows a current P0430 code. What's weird is, there's no CEL. Does anyone know why the code would be current, with no CEL, or if the truck will pass inspection this way? I'm pretty sure they plug in the scanner even if there's no CEL. Could the check engine lamp have "burned out"?
It's a 2006 RRS Supercharged. thanks!

·
Registered
806 Posts
My cat was changed a few years ago with that code and the other day I needed an e-test for plates so I checked with an OBD2 reader and that code was showing but no CEL. I cleared the code and the took it in a few days later and it passed. I have seen that code a couple of times since the cat replacement.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,198 Posts
CEL is easy to check, it should illuminate when you first turn the ignition to position II, on the self test.
Not all codes will illuminate the CEL light, so its best to ask the testing station you'll be taking it to, if it matters or not. Kind of hard for the forum to tell you that, especially when asking the actual shop would take all of 2 minutes....

Martin

·
Registered
806 Posts
The P0430 will illuminate the CEL because it did on mine before I had the bank 2 cat changed. Once I saw the CEL flash when going through a slush puddle but went out. I checked later and it was P0430. Like Metropolis my light wasn't on a couple of weeks ago but when I did the OBD2 before an e-test it showed a P0430 but no CEL. Like him I wodered why.

Most likely the CEL does not go on until some other criteria have been met like distance, time , number of times the computer gets the signal, etc. Only a guess.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Delete the code and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I called the shop where I usually go, they seemed puzzled and told me they'd just have to scan it & check it out. I did like somebody said, & figured out the CEL was actually working as it came on then went off when starting.
I took it to the shop, didn't reset anything & it passed. I'll check it again soon, hopefully nothing will set off the CEL between now and next inspection in a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts