Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P0308 Misfire Cylinder 8 Code? At wits end trying to diagnose? Any thoughts .....

Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts. 2004 Range Rover, 4.4 engine, 204,000 miles. Out driving and get the service engine soon blinking light. Read code and get P0308. Shudders at low speed - not as noticeable speed. Here's what I tried so far:

First to confirm - Cylinder # 8 is drivers side rear most cylinder.
Checked for spark by removing coil/plug - held plug against ground - confirmed good spark - BUT moved the entire coil, plug wire, and plug to the adjacent cylinder just to try to isolate. Still get P0308 error code after resetting and driving around the block.
Thought it might be an injector - so went through the hassle and trouble to actually remove, inspect, and then swap the injector to cylinder number 6. Also used an ohm meter to test the wires going to the injector #8 and the wires are good. Same error code after resetting and driving.
Compression test - cylinder # 8 - 125 psi, Cylinder #5 - 140 psi - seems close enough to me, and debating about testing all the cylinders on the left bank after typing this?

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: P0308 Misfire Cylinder 8 Code? At wits end trying to diagnose? Any thoughts ...

Bump .... any thoughts/ideas before it goes to the dealer next week? Hard to tell - but the miss seems to be more at idle than when driving on the highway.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Re: P0308 Misfire Cylinder 8 Code? At wits end trying to diagnose? Any thoughts ...

What did the spark plug look like?

Cylinders 4 and 8 tend to get the most oil from PCV into then just by design.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

UPDATE - not good. Took it to the dealer. They rechecked compression and found cylinder 8 was low. Here is the odd part (and I was standing there when doing the test). First test 120. Second Test 75. Third test 30. Other cylinders on left bank 175+. Would seem to indicate a valve issue???

BUT - not my problem any more. After driving it for 200,000 miles over 8 1/2 years traded it in on a 2012 Sport. Only gave me $5000 on the trade which was probably on the low side - but just happy to move on.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
158 Posts

Sorry to hear that. But it looks like you had a nice long run making it to 204,000 miles! What major repairs did you make in that span?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts