RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 range rover sport S/C starting giving me code p0170. This code comes on about 1minute after the car starts up (first i get a pending code, then after the second cycle i get the MIL). Car seems to run fine.

This is the freeze data i got:
ABSLT TPS% ....21.9
ENG RPM ..........650
BARO RPS KPA ....101
calc load %.........37.6
MAF Flow GR/SE...8.26
MAP KPA..............46
outside temp.....71
Coolant....136
IAT F.............91
IGN Advance DE ....5.5
ST FTRM1%........ 15.6
LT FTRM1%........ 0.7
ST FTRM2%........ 12.5
LT FTRM2%........ 0.0
ST FTRM3%........-100.6
LT FTRM3%........-100.6
ST FTRM4%........-100.6
LT FTRM4%........-100.6
VEH Speed MPH...... 4
ABSLT Load % 3.0
FUEL PRESS KPAG....291
FUEL SYS 1..............closed
FUEL SYS 2..............closed
REL TPS % .............. 5.8
THROT CMD%..... ..... 11.7
ABS TPS B% ............ 56.8
ACC POS D%.................14.1
ACC POS E%............... 14.1
EVAP PURGE %.........30.1
CMD ED Ratio.......... 0.969
FUEL LEVEL %........ 13.7
VPWR V............ 14.121
ENG RUN M:S.... 2:28
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
Over-sensitive ECM calibration, it will probably be solved with an IDS tune download of the latest software into the engine control module, and possibly the tranny control module as well depending on your VIN and/or number of DTCs thrown in addition to P0170. Tell the dealer or LR indy shop to check TSB # LTB00071 issued in May 2008 (here in NA, not sure if you are in the US or not) affecting most MY06 and 07s with both S/C and normally aspirated engines. If you are out of factory warranty you'll be stuck with the bill, but it shouldn't be more than an hour of labor for the download. :thumb:

PS: What scanning tool did you use?

Edit: Found the TSB, see below.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,739 Posts
umbertob said:
Over-sensitive ECM calibration, it will probably be solved with an IDS tune download of the latest software into the engine control module, and possibly the tranny control module as well depending on your VIN and/or number of DTCs thrown in addition to P0170. Tell the dealer or LR indy shop to check TSB # LTB00071 issued in May 2008
Could also be low headlight fluid level.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
umbertob said:
Over-sensitive ECM calibration, it will probably be solved with an IDS tune download of the latest software into the engine control module, and possibly the tranny control module as well depending on your VIN and/or number of DTCs thrown in addition to P0170. Tell the dealer or LR indy shop to check TSB # LTB00071 issued in May 2008 (here in NA, not sure if you are in the US or not) affecting most MY06 and 07s with both S/C and normally aspirated engines. If you are out of factory warranty you'll be stuck with the bill, but it shouldn't be more than an hour of labor for the download. :thumb:

PS: What scanning tool did you use?

Edit: Found the TSB, see below.

Thanks.... hopefully thats all it is... lets see how bad the bill is since i am out of warranty =/... i am near Pasadena as well, so i might try British Eurotech in Lawndale... that you told me about in the past.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
forgot to add

i used an Actron scanner... there "autoscanner plus" was borrowed from a friend, i believe he paid 200 at sears for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umbertob... you were right on..

went and did the software upgrade yesterday (engine and tranny)... and all is fine, even passed smog this morning.
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
225 Posts
chem said:
umbertob... you were right on..

went and did the software upgrade yesterday (engine and tranny)... and all is fine, even passed smog this morning.
What did the update cost?
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
225 Posts
The dealer next to me is trying to charge $190 to preform that TSB. Is that fair?
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
225 Posts
Had the TSB done and fixed the issue. I sure do dislike the dealer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
P0170-00 on SC range rover or sport is often caused by a miss wired charge cooler coolant pump as per TSB LTB00041 v2. On RRS SC the two wires to this coolant pump on a certain vin range are round the wrong way Black wire should be in terminal 1. This causes the pump to run backwards causing localised overheating in the left hand charge cooler and the fuel trim long and short term to go a bit haywire. The pump should be replaced and the two pin plug re wired with the black wire in T1. Even if you clear the fault code P0170 it will return almost immediately if you don't reset the fuel adaptions in the PCM. Repair times are 0.8 to change pump, 0.2 to rewire and 0.2 to check and clear adaptions and fault code. Flashing the PCM will achieve nothing.Done lots of these and always cures problem.Hope this helps.

Jez. Land Rover Master Tech.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
Welcome Jez. We sure could use the expertise of a LR Master Tech on these boards... Are you staying a while or just passing by? :wink: Where are you located?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
jez01 said:
P0170-00 on SC range rover or sport is often caused by a miss wired charge cooler coolant pump as per TSB LTB00041 v2. On RRS SC the two wires to this coolant pump on a certain vin range are round the wrong way Black wire should be in terminal 1. This causes the pump to run backwards causing localised overheating in the left hand charge cooler and the fuel trim long and short term to go a bit haywire. The pump should be replaced and the two pin plug re wired with the black wire in T1. Even if you clear the fault code P0170 it will return almost immediately if you don't reset the fuel adaptions in the PCM. Repair times are 0.8 to change pump, 0.2 to rewire and 0.2 to check and clear adaptions and fault code. Flashing the PCM will achieve nothing.Done lots of these and always cures problem.Hope this helps.

Jez. Land Rover Master Tech.
Jez,



That TSB refers to fault code P2601 for the S/C coolant pump and possible crossed wires. P0170 is an adaption code and as such could be set for a variety of reasons. If he did not have the P2601, I would doubt that's his problem. ibis1 ;)
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
615 Posts
I have this problem too.

Went to dealer In Astana. For 3 days they couldn't solve the problem. I think they were not updated the ecu.

Master told me maybe the injection coil is the problem
Maybe alternator is the problem (what is the connection can't understood)
Maybe spark plugs

I cleaned the injection system but have very poor mileage. 26lt/100km

Can I do the ecu flashing myself???
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top