RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

It's been a while, but who are we kidding it's inevitable :)

My Range Rover (HSE 2008) been sitting in the driveway for about 6 months, no reason besides driving the diesel hauling the kids around. I know I know, it's stupid of me to do that, I am learning.

I decided it was time to stop neglecting my Rover, I charged the battery and cranked it up. Did not miss a beat, I almost cried he sounded so good. I ran it for a while and drove it to my local mechanic the next day morning (about 2 miles from the house) for a state inspection, the mechanics reported the inspection failed due to CEL. Oddly I did not notice it on the way there! I took it to O'rielly's to check the codes, I got the P0116.

A couple of points:
1 No overheating or fluctuation noticed on the heat gauge.
2 No high idling or rough driving, it really sounded very good.
3 It was low on gas, I top it after getting the P0116.
4 No other codes or error messages (Except the stupid sidelight, I need to chase it)
5 Replaced the gas cap back in August because the check engine light came on at the dealer, we replaced it and cleared the code.
6 Last year I replaced the coolant tank at the dealer due to a leak.

This morning I drove it to work with no issues. The gauge jumped to halfway in about 2 miles drive, less than 5 minutes. The temperature this working was around 46 Fahrenheit this morning in Durham, NC.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
323 Posts
I had a CEL for the same code a few years back with my 2006 LR3 4.4L V8. CEL would come on at exactly the same place on my drive to work. I opened up the thermostat housing and the thermostat locating tab (plastic) had sheared off, the thermostat had rotated sideways and was of course non-functional. Fortunately I had a replacement housing wit thermostat in my garage and replaced the defective unit. Cleared the CEL and all was well.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I can't see what year you have, just says 200:))), but I had an issue with a 2006 Full size that was traced back to a failed or failing thermostat. The CEL only popped on very cold days after 10 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover L405 Supercharged & 2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
22 Posts
I was having the same issue but my fan would turn on. I replaced the whole thermostat housing with the ect sensor installed. The code still kept coming back. I then replaced the lower ect sensor connected to the oil filter housing and presto no more issues or code. It was very easy just unplug sensor then use a deep socket 20mm and unscrew. Reverse for install.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was having the same issue but my fan would turn on. I replaced the whole thermostat housing with the ect sensor installed. The code still kept coming back. I then replaced the lower ect sensor connected to the oil filter housing and presto no more issues or code. It was very easy just unplug sensor then use a deep socket 20mm and unscrew. Reverse for install.
Any idea what the part numbers are? and do I need to bleed the system once I replace the housing? I suspect I do, but perhaps it's a miracle I don't. How about resetting the code, do I need a visit to the dealer?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover L405 Supercharged & 2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
22 Posts
OLD PART # 4337456* # LR018397(G)?NEW PART # LR065234 Lower Ect sensor

LR007604 Thermostat Housing
The housing has a new thermostat and ect sensor. And you do have too bleed the system. I ordered my parts from ebay for a total of $255.00

·
Registered
323 Posts
When I replaced my housing with the broken tab, which turned the thermostat sideways, all I did was remove the top of the housing and replace it with the new one because the broken tab was in the top cover, the thermostat was already installed in the top. I didn't bleed the system. Just removed the exiting sideways thermostat, secured the top cover and that was it. Sorry I don't know the number of the cover only.

Here's a link to Atlantic British - with a video:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LR005631

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 07.38.36.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
But bear in mind it might not be the thermostat - it could be one of the sensors as mentioned previously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts