Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi; can somebody tell me where/how to connect an external air pump to pressurize the lagging suspension sys.? the pump working but in the winter time is very slow to lift; I just need a quick/temporary solution, pls and I know that an external pump can be connected to raise the vehicle fast but don't know how to do this; thx (PS: I am female...apologetic for this :confused:)

· Registered
784 Posts
There is a storage tank fixed to the frame on the passengers side. I suppose one could put a T into the line and then add a fitting to allow air to be added to the tank. This could be a Schrader valve as found on tires or an airline quick connect fitting. I have not done this so only guessing.

Edit: I forgot to mention there is a drain plug on the tank and I suppose a fitting could be added here after removing the plug.

If you just need to move the car it is perfectly acceptable to drive it while on the bump stops

· Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,656 Posts
I have plumbed an auxiliary compressor on my trucks (2k p38 and 95 classic), on p38 I installed compressor on the right wheel well next to fuse box, ran wiring thru right body harness grommet to rocker switch installed in the ashtray. the air line is "T" in to existing line with quick release fittings
on classic I removed one of the plugs on the end of the tank and installed converter plug to be able to install air line.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
You most likely have a leak somewhere, and if you don't fix it, the air compressor will eventually die from over work. There is no fitting on the system to pressurise, but a lot of people fit a T in one of the lines as a backup option. Most leaks are an old air bag or else old o rings in the EAS valve block. It is all easy to test if you have any mechanical ability.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
I have plumbed in a permanent connection with a pressure gauge. It goes to a tee on the valve block.

A couple of sellers on Ebay uk do a kit allowing you to blow up each air bag individually.

Emergency EAS valves

Just keep them in the glove box until needed.

· Registered
1997 Range Rover Autobiography
51 Posts
. I did this following his advice but some on here don't like it as you are putting more joins in the system and more potential leak problems. Cost me about $150 Aust from a hydraulic hose shop and lets you either isolate the original system or an individual bag. EAS sinking ONLY with relay IN. There's 5 pages on a similar thing here I hooked into that might give you some ideas too but it took me about an hour and a half and my wifes dress scissors ( she wasn't home!!) to set it all up. Page 5 had some good advice how to finish it off too from Richard G. I didn't worry about the pressure guage. Hope that helps. Forgot to say need about 9 metres of pipe to allow for any boo boos!!

· Registered
27 Posts
Early on with my P38 a spare dryer assembly was used. Drilled a hole in the cap and inserted a schrader valve. Once done found it remained somewhat inconvenient to use and the thought of it being an incorrect approach to the problem was ever-present. If the vehicle settles overnight the system has a leak. If slow to rise the pump could also be worn. If your vehicle does attain ride height an overhaul replacing the o-rings and possibly one or all of the bags would have a high likelyhood of successful repair. It is not a difficult process but does require ample time. The parts / fixings are actually quite reasonable. Noting your Canadian location conditions may not be present to undertake a lengthy repair during the winter. Your need and concern to get through temporarily is understood but if at all possible if your circumstances could be reordered to allow for the proper repair you and your Rover would be happy. Best of luck.

· Administrator
5,717 Posts
Bottom line with the EAS is it shouldn't drop overnight as long as it is parked on a reasonably level surface, any more than 10mm in 24 hours is unacceptable. If it does drop, or you drop it down to Access height to let granny climb in, it should rise back up to Standard within less than 5 seconds. If it doesn't do this, it needs attention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts