RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I got a new O2 sensor from a RR parts supplier. It has "Z27-24E" etched on the body. I wanted to bench test it prior to installation, as I put 2 new ones in from another well regarded RR supplier and one sends a signal and the other does not.
I used the heat it with a propane torch technique. While carefully heating it, being cautious not to overheat it, all I can get out of it is .223 VDC, red lead to black wire, black lead to the sensor body.
Everything I read says it should produce very close to 1.0 VDC and drop rapidly. As I said, it will only get up to about .223 and it takes a while (nearly a minute) for it to drop.
Did I get yet another bad O2 sensor, or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
401 Posts
You are obviously quite suspicious of the correct functioning of an O2 sensor out of the box. I fitted several over the years and they all just worked. Can you not just fit it and go drive?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am suspicious.
I too, have installed many O2 sensors over the years having owned and operated a shop for the last 16 of those years. Subaru specifically was the worst I came across to be finicky about the signal a sensor was sending, followed closely by BMW. I got to where I would only install dealer supplied sensors, and stopped having issues. Odd I know, as Subaru and BMW are not O2 sensor manufacturers.
Given the variables possible (bad connections, bad wiring, chafing or shorts in the wires, vacuum leaks and fuel trim issues, etc.) I have found testing the sensor prior to installation saves me time and money, and it only takes a minute or so to do.
Driving it may give some results, but without a real time readout of the sensor signal and how it is switching, driving it as a test has limited value, to me at least...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts