RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner lived in nevada, and now it’s my turn to start seeing the effects. The roof is horrible and I’m getting it vinyl wrapped (professionally). I can tell the hood is starting too, but I can buff it out and be fine. And a back side panel has a spot that is oxidized. Just to fix the back panel Im getting all sorts of quotes ranging from 300-1200$ in my area. Can anyone recommend a wipe-on clear coat to fix the little spot and restore the quality of clear coat on my hood? I’d like to try DIY first, and if I fail or am not satisfied, then ill bite the bullet. I’ve been reading on methods to restore clear coat, hoping someone has had success with DIY??

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
707 Posts
These cars not made to be left out in the sun - I have similar damage on the tailgate spoiler - the clear coat has been peeling off for a while. I also have some cracking on the front of the dash where my dash cover does no cover it and of course the panel where the wipers are is oxidising. There cars are supposed to be for the international market but are only designed to handle UK levels of UV - not really good enough.

If the clearcoat has started to go milky it is really too late - some first aid measures might help initially like light sanding and reapplying some clear coat but really the paint needs sanding back and repainting professionally.

Garry

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yep, I noticed my rear spoiler has peeling clear coat - I’m going to try and sand it down with 2000 grit and spray on clear coat (auto parts stores carry that in a can for < $10) .... I figure I can’t make it worse than it already looks up there. Btw - not just a landrover issue ... my daughters Mercedes had peeling clear coat on the A pillars after 6 years

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
These cars not made to be left out in the sun -
Not so. Since the late 1980's automotive paints have had UV filters introduced to reduce the damage caused by sunlight. Some better than others. But every paint needs some assistance which is why you should use a polish that has UV filters to enhance what was put on at the factory (jury still out on the overall effectiveness).

Once oxidation has begun, it is difficult to eradicate but there are polishes that can help restore original luster. That is, if the oxidation has not damaged too deeply.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Can anyone recommend a wipe-on clear coat to fix the little spot and restore the quality of clear coat on my hood? I’d like to try DIY first, and if I fail or am not satisfied, then ill bite the bullet. I’ve been reading on methods to restore clear coat, hoping someone has had success with DIY??
Meguiar's makes a good product.
Meguiars-G17216-Ultimate-Compound-16-oz.jpg

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
If its that far gone, I believe your only real option is to have a paint shop prep and respray it.
I guess you could leave it as-is and just wrap the car too.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I had similar clear coat issues on the roof and rear spoiler and I just painted the roof with truckbed liner. It was simple, fast drying and very durable.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
Have you thought about doing the whole car? If done well, matt black RRS's look badass.
I recently saw a 4 door jeep wrangler that had been lifted and had a bunch of off-road accessories added, and it was completely painted in that very textured truckbed liner. It looked really cool.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
No flat black. The roof is all I need. My son did the flat black on his Rodeo and that did look great. But I'm happy with the Rimini red.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think the 2-tone combo looks quite impressive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts