RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys -

I'm in the middle of doing an engine rebuild on my '99 Gems 4.6 HSE engine. I just got my crank back from the machine shop and they mic'd out the journals for me as well. The Rod Journals came back at 2.185
After looking in the manual it tells me that they need to be 2.20 to 2.22 so it looks like they are undersized for standard bearings. My question is what size journal do I need to get them back in spec? I will admit that I am no math whiz so a second set of eyes (or more) helping me confirm what I need will make me feel a lot better. I called Atlantic British and they wouldn't confirm what I need as they not want to make a mistake. Here are the one's I think I need:

They said these one's are two thousand's over standard.

Thanks!

BC

·
Registered
114 Posts
Unfortunately the numbers in the workshop manual for the 4.6 are incorrect, you only have to look at the tolerance to see that (0.020", but that would clatter). Take a look at the specs for the 4.0 and 4.6 in metric and you will find they are identical. 2.185" is exactly on song for standard bearings.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It brings up an interesting point. Looking at the RAVE engine rebuild manual you see the following information:
Big ends (metric) 55.5mm - 55.513mm which equals 2.1850" - 2.1855", i.e half a thou tolerance which would be about right.
Big ends (imperial) 2.2" - 2.22" which is 55.88mm - 56.39mm.

It can't be both .........

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This makes me wonder how I can determine the source of authority for the correct specifications since as you say, the imperial and the metric numbers in the RAVE can't both be right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well if it is a concern, get a set of STD bearings and some plastiguage and see what clearance you have. Bearings are cheap, so if you need undersized bearings it is a small additional cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts