RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year all

I had my car prepared for a trip from London to Cape Town at the back end of last year and we’ve just left. I thought you might like to see the results. I spent hours scouring this forum for information on how to prepare the car and what sort of issues to prepare for. Several people on this forum have made very helpful input into the preparation process, so many thanks for that.

You can find out more about our trip and the preparation of the Rangie here:

http://web.me.com/raymondgreaves/LilongweDown/Home.html

Hope you find it interesting. Expect some emergency calls for help at periodic points along the route!

Fingers crossed…

I'll try to add some more pictures when I get a chance

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
RRG

This is awesome !!!! i went through your website and i wish you all the best for this fantastic trip .

A few remarks though , i believe many of us would like to see more photos of your vehicle , specially the prepared bits and in close up . you may understand that you will emulate some of us and that we will want to piggy back on your experience .

Also I do not remember , i may have overlooked , that you mention any special filtering for the diesel . specially to separate water . Having read many stories about african adventures ( in defenders or dicovery's though) it seems that diesel quality can be a real issue in many african countries .

So keep on preparing well for the trip , keep us advised and so on ;

PS , also you may want to create a space on your website where we can add comments , write you , whatever ...

Jaybear :) :)

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
That looks so exciting, i'm very envious!

Make sure you take tons of photo's so you can look back on the adventure in the years to come and so the rest of us can see what you're up to!

D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Good luck you two.

I'm sure both the people and the car will need a lot of attention along the way and hope any of us in Africa can lend a hand too ?

Your preparation is definitely on the weekend warrior side versus a full expedition compared to a level we modify in Australia.

I think another forum member lives in Namibia with his P38 Rangie so hopefully we can see pics of other forum members too !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Guys,

Happy new year.

That's a fantastic plan!

Your rangies looks so good!

Keep going.

Florent

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
Fantastic - just bookmarked your site. Look forward to reading your updates!

mb.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I love your tires. I will follow the journey on your website. I would love to try something like that some day, but I will never have the time for such a long expedition unless I quit my job or retire. I typically cannot take vacation much longer than one week without coming back to a huge mess in the office :cry:

I am also interested to see how the hawkeye tool works out for you.... since I know you will have various electronic/computer issues to deal with.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Having watched the "Long Way Down" Charlie Boorman & Ewan McGregor TV series of the same route I am fascinated to see if its harder or easier in a RR than on BMW Expedition bikes...

Very good luck I am sure the Rangie will notlet you down (too many times) :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Folks,

thanks for the enthusiasm and best wishes. I've now established a gallery with more pictures at: http://gallery.me.com/raymondgreaves#100025

I will also post more pics on the website as we go on so you can see what we and the Rangie get up to.

I appreciate that these pics may not offer enough detail on some of the mods and accessories but if you have any questions I'm more than happy to help. What you cannot see in the pictures is the auxiliary battery and 'intelligent charger' which is located in the compartment in the boot (trunk) that is normally used for the tow hitch when not in use. It's a really neat fit but does need thick cables threading through the length of the car to the main battery under the bonnet (hood). The intelligent charger only starts charging the auxiliary battery when the main battery has had a good dose of charge from the alternator. I can monitor the voltage of both batteries on the device mounted on the dashboard.

On the water-in-diesel issue as a primary measure I have made myself a tester kit, similar to that used by pilots of light aircraft, to sample the diesel if I have to resort to a dodgy fuel station. There is no secondary measure! I made enquiries and the standard fuel filter is good at separating out water. I've got a good stock of filters with me and will change them at regular intervals. Thankfully this is a dead easy job. I did think about inserting additional filters / separators on the low pressure side but decided that the consequent pressure drop could cause havoc with the rest of the fuel system. Not worth the hassle - just be careful and change filters regularly. I also investigated fuel suppliers en route using Tracks 4 Africa. With a bit of planning I should be able to find my way to a BP, Shell, Total or other major retailer all the way and I'm hoping they maintain better standards than the local punters. We shall see.

Vinniman, amused by your 'weekend warrior' comment! The whole idea of the trip was to see if the RR could tackle this trip is as close to showroom spec as possible / realistic. It should be able to. I certainly didn't want to start subbing air springs for coils etc. If that was the route I was going to take I would have started with a different car in the first place. Would love to hear what you do to L322s in Oz, however. Spill the beans!

Wheels and tyres got a lot of thought. Seems counter-intuitive going from 18" to 19" wheels I know. Thing is there is very little (read none) choice for the L322 and offroad tyres, other than the Goodyear MTRs and they demand 19" wheels. They have the benefit of having carbon-reinforced sidewalls and were made specifically for the G4 Challenge. I have a friend who rallies a RR Sport on these tyres and has nothing but praise for them. Sure, MTR availability in Africa is non-existant, but thankfully I have a sympathetic tyre dealer and DHL are rather good these days...

Jaybeer, thinking about the comments section on the website but what is there is already at the limits of my IT capabilities ;-) For now best to use this forum / this thread or feel free to PM me if you like

best regards

RRG

·
Registered
103 Posts
love reading your posts. Wish you a great trip, would also be nice to see your auxiliuri battery monts.

best wishes from Norway

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I trust you are carrying lots of spare diesel in case just in case you find Diesel is contaminated at certain stops en-route....

G.

·
Registered
543 Posts
RRG.

The L322's can be enhanced by several time saving improvements appropriate for the harsh desert areas of Western Australia !
First & foremost-have another vehicle travel with you the entire route for assistance when traversing remote wilderness areas.

Install a locally made swing away rear wheel carrier for the spare, substitute the spare location for a 72ltr LPG donut in case the fuel pump dies so you can use an alternative fuel source to get you back to civilisation. Rock sliders along the side boards with jacking points for the High lift, recovery gear, Dual Battery box behind the front passenger seat, Eutectic Fridge/freezer.

Cargo barrier behind the front seats, remote reservoir shocks, poly air suspension bags, heavy duty coils with 2" of extra lift ?

Longer range fuel tank, bull bar, electric winch, tyre pliers, Safari Turbocharger, Diff Locks, long range driving lights, CB/VHF radios, bigger intercooler, four core radiator, water bladder in footwell, storage cabinets in the cargo bed, in-built compressor, exterior snorkel, differential breather extensions, towing eyes, portable tread tracks, Satellite phone, GPS, Donaldson filter.

Check out my mechanic Kevin Folconbridge's website @ www.jordanrover-tech.com.au for illustrations of past trips and the box trailer he uses.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Uh Vinniman, he is already well on his way in Instanbul already with car fully prepared and the Spare Tyres on the Roof (Pictures)......

Good advice maybe but hardly appropriate at this stage of the adventure :?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Im in Namibia in a small town called Rosh Pinah 160km west of the Noordover border were you will be crossing into South Africa contact me if you need any assistance!

Good luck with the trip

Regards

Jeremy

·
Registered
690 Posts
Gazellio said:
Uh Vinniman, he is already well on his way in Instanbul already with car fully prepared and the Spare Tyres on the Roof (Pictures)......

Uh, Gazello...

RRG himself expressed interest in Vinniman's experience just a couple of posts ago.....

"Would love to hear what you do to L322s in Oz, however. Spill the beans!"

So don't you think it is a little out of place (or "hardly appropriate") for you to criticize Vinniman for responding. :roll:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Norval said:
Gazellio said:

Uh, Gazello...

RRG himself expressed interest in Vinniman's experience just a couple of posts ago.....

"Would love to hear what you do to L322s in Oz, however. Spill the beans!"

So don't you think it is a little out of place (or "hardly appropriate") for you to criticize Vinniman for responding. :roll:
Quite right and I apologise for my foolish error in not reading the previous relevant post. I thought he was making suggestions for the pre-trip preparation of the vehicle :doh:

I hope Vinniman is aware that I appreciate the help & advice he has given to me recently.

·
Registered
690 Posts
:)

RRg wanted to keep his Range as much stock as possible.

But I have a couple of questions for Vinniman:

Do you have a supplier for the rear tire carrier or would you just have it fabricated to fit?

Do you have a supplier for secondary long range fuel tanks? Would it go somewhere other than in the spare tire well?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts