RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are loads of posts for this and I have been through them, I have a 1999 4.6, It blew the drain plug out of the radiator so I replaced it and now after ten minutes of driving it the temp gauge goes from half way straight to red, there is a hell of alot of pressure in the top radiator pipe and when running cant be squeezed, if its just ticking over it doesnt overheat, I also noticed yesterday some water dripping inside the drivers footwell yesterday when i was filling the water up, any ideas anyone? Thanks

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
484 Posts
The dripping in the driver's footwell is almost certainly the heater matrix 'O' rings - which have probably given up the ghost being old and subjected to the overpressure now in the cooling system due to the overheating. See 'sticky' on this subject at the top of this forum and good luck.

The cause of the overheating may be any number of things but likely culprits are blocked radiator (is the rad cool in some place?), dodgy viscous fan coupling (is the fan easy to turn by hand when the engine is really hot?), water pump failed (difficult one to accurately diagnose but are there any leaks around the pump bearing?); thermostat stuck closed (need to take out and heat in pan of water to see if it opens correctly), blocked/collapsed hose (usually obvious) and expansion tank cap not sealing properly. Other than that it gets really expensive with blown head gasket (is there water in the oil or vice versa?)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No water in the oil at all, radiator seems fine and changed thermostat, will check fan etc

·
Registered
701 Posts
Something is causing the system to be over pressurized. You need to find out what. You may not have bled the system properly, the thermostat could be going out, etc. Blown head gaskets over pressurize the system, but lets hope its not that. It may be as simple as your radiator cap, so replace it first since its cheap ;) .

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
484 Posts
Hale said:
Fan is ok to, could it just be an air lock?
Well these vehicles take a lot of 'burping' so it might be - have you followed the correct coolant refill procedure?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed cap and still the same so took rad out and gave it good clean, fitted it back on and when i checked the bottom of radiator is cold and the top is hot, now been told this is because a liner has gone, how can i check this? Thanks

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
484 Posts
Not sure why a liner going would produce that effect on the radiator? Sounds more like a blocked radiator to me. Did you back flush it thoroughly when you took it out?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
484 Posts
If the thermostat is opening then coolant is being diverted through the rad - so either the rad is blocked or one of the hoses has collapsed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just been looking at it again and there is no water going back into the exspansion tank throught the pipe from the rad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts