RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good day
95 4.6 hse.the temp gauge moves till the 1 ocklock pos only with ac on and at idle after idling 4 aprox10 min.i have flushed and had the rad rodded at a rad shop,replaced the tstat,there is a good circulation of coolant,i can c water returning to exp tank.i have cleaned the condenser from outside.the vc fan is roaring.no coolant is loss,no oil and coolant mix.temp gauge not reaching red,and in the morning when i open the exp cap there is no hissing as sign of presure,i have cleaned the grounds in the engine bay.by the way the aux fans kick in at hi speed.i have replaced the coolant sender.no airlocks r available.when this happens as soon as i get the car moving the temp gauge moves back to middle.is it the vc fan or rad although it was rodded?when it happens the outside temp is in the thirties even more.is that normal 4 the p38?please help me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, when you are sitting still its much harder for the engine to keep cool. When you are moving, there is plenty of moving air to dissipate the heat (thats why when they do dyno runs, they have a set of fans in front of the car to blow air at the engine)
Especially if the outside temperature is that hot (assuming its in celcius!), then i'd imagine the temperature could go up when sitting still. As long as it doesn't move up into the red.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mekadodo said:
Well, when you are sitting still its much harder for the engine to keep cool. When you are moving, there is plenty of moving air to dissipate the heat (thats why when they do dyno runs, they have a set of fans in front of the car to blow air at the engine)
Especially if the outside temperature is that hot (assuming its in celcius!), then i'd imagine the temperature could go up when sitting still. As long as it doesn't move up into the red.
So wht i understane tht i have an air circulation pro?is it better 2 replace the vc fan although it is roaring?coz when i start the engine in the morning the vc fan is roaring 4 a couple of min then it'll quiet down,is tht a sign tht it needs replacing?i think it wasn't replaced since 15 years.the car have 120 000kms.even if it roars when accelerating,could it b screwed?or i blame the hot weather.celsius off course.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
If the temperature remains constant at the 1 o clock position, I wouldn't worry too much. Especially as you have a (good as) new radiator and thermostat.
It could be the waterpump, not giving enough pressure at low revs. But as said, idling in hot weather with the AC on does place quite a load on the cooling system, a bit higher temperature doesn't have to be a problem.
The one thing I would check is the auxilary fans in front of the AC condensor. They're supposed to come on in such situations. If they don't, that will explain the higher temperature.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Escape said:
If the temperature remains constant at the 1 o clock position, I wouldn't worry too much. Especially as you have a (good as) new radiator and thermostat.
It could be the waterpump, not giving enough pressure at low revs. But as said, idling in hot weather with the AC on does place quite a load on the cooling system, a bit higher temperature doesn't have to be a problem.
The one thing I would check is the auxilary fans in front of the AC condensor. They're supposed to come on in such situations. If they don't, that will explain the higher temperature.

Greetz,

Filip
thanks 4 ur help.as i said in my thread the aux fans DO kick in.
this leaves the water pump or viscous fan.
about the water pump,when i open the exp tank i see coolant coming back to the exp tank as dribbling (drops),when idling.when i acc from the cable and look at the exp tank the water squirts.so vc fan is ok?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts