RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am having issues with overheating in my range rover. It is fine when I am driving it but when it idles, the engine coolant reservoir (antifreeze) boils and it causes the engine to overheat. I have replaced the head gaskets, installed a new thermostat, fan clutch, distributor cap, and water pump. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I’d have the radiator
Checked
Also it can get cloged up on the front side of the radiator
With leaves a crap

·
Registered
314 Posts
Endorse the above.

If it's had any system "sealant" used in it that will usually compromise the radiator cores and prevent good coolant flow. That causes more problems than it fixes on these vehicles.

Recently replaced radiator on a 3.9 and the airflow through the matrix couldn't be more different. With a new clean one the fan now sounds more like an aircraft propeller it can draw so much more air through it compared to partly blocked original with external dirt leaves etc.

At least remove your radiator and clean out anything between parts in the installation, also it should have the fan shroud in place to force the fan to draw through the matrix and not just stir the air within the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
The truck is 24 years old. If you don’t know the history of the rad, yank it and have it rodded/recored or replace it with a new one. It’s amazing how a clean rad will stop those overheating issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Endorse the above.

If it's had any system "sealant" used in it that will usually compromise the radiator cores and prevent good coolant flow. That causes more problems than it fixes on these vehicles.

Recently replaced radiator on a 3.9 and the airflow through the matrix couldn't be more different. With a new clean one the fan now sounds more like an aircraft propeller it can draw so much more air through it compared to partly blocked original with external dirt leaves etc.

At least remove your radiator and clean out anything between parts in the installation, also it should have the fan shroud in place to force the fan to draw through the matrix and not just stir the air within the engine bay.
Thank you for the advise, I will check for sealant uses and clean out the radiator.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The truck is 24 years old. If you don’t know the history of the rad, yank it and have it rodded/recored or replace it with a new one. It’s amazing how a clean rad will stop those overheating issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the best answer!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
100% agree. When you have the radiator recored, make sure you get the 4-core. Don't even bother with the 3-core - it won't cool the water down nearly as well, and the price difference is negligible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check to make sure the fan shroud is not cracked and seated properly to ensure maximum amount of cold air is pulled from the front and through the radiator fins. I made a mistake of removing mine because it cracked and it created all sorts of heating issues-- especially during summer in stop and go traffic. Problem was solved after I replaced with a new one shroud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts