RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I don't think so either.

But I'm not sure how to explain what I've observed:

Last night, I was driving my 2000 RR SE on the interstate at 65mph when the heat started blowing cold, the temperature gauge pegged hot and I pulled off to the shoulder and shut the engine off. Maybe 15 seconds elapsed between the temp gauge topping out and my shutting the engine off. The overflow bottle was empty and nothing boiled out when I removed the cap after letting it cool a bit. I refilled the bottle and tried to start the engine, it turned over easily but did not catch. It sounded like there weren't any spark plugs in the cylinders. An hour wait for a tow truck in 5 degree weather later, and several unsuccessful attempts to start the engine later, I got a ride home and I left the rover alone until this morning.

Before leaving for work, I tried starting the engine and it caught, but the noise and vibration were impressive, much like it was running on four or five cylinders. I figured I'd wrecked one or both head gaskets at least.

This afternoon, I found the leak - a hose had come off the Thermostat - and refilled the engine. It started and didn't sound as bad as it had in the morning, it also ran much smoother (but far from typical) I let it warm up to normal and took a short drive. After 20 minutes on surface roads, the engine sounds and runs the way it usually does.

There isn't any sign of coolant and oil mixing, I don't see excessive white smoke from either exhaust and the heater is blowing hot air like it usually does.

So what happened and is there any test or series of checks I can do to see if the engine is healthy?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think you've answered your own question, but you're doubting yourself.

If it didn't overheat in 20 minutes of driving, there's no combustion gasses blowing the coolant out, milky oil...etc etc.

How tight / old are the other hoses?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one that came off might be original, some are new and others are old. They're all tight now.

I think a full hose replacement is in my near future.

And yeah, I am doubting myself. It was a cold night and I really don't want to repeat the experience. I'll be adding a blanket, some energy type bars and chemical handwarmers/footwarmers to the rover tonight. The tow was over 40 miles, my AAA membership paid for itself last night.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts