RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
overheated - comps ok, pipes ok, exhaust gasses in coolant?? test kit coming

UK 97 4.0 se auto - owned 5 years never a prob just the usual calipers, a/c rad, air spring bags, steering bits and bobs - last night went to collect some hay in 27-28 degree external temps - left her idling collecting bales for about 20 mins all told (total load was c.1.2 tons inc trailer - usual collection weights - soon as made it to main road temp gauge moved slightly above centre where it alway sits, as soon as air thru rad cooled back to centre, then without warning 1/2 mile later shot up the scale and a lovely red light came on - shut her down immediately - whilst the wait for youngest to bring water - checked for leaks - nope, header tank empty, depressurised the header tank and fluid came back in to header tank - smells distinctly of exhaust gas to me - waited for her to cool properly, refilled with hot water drove back the last 2 miles with no issues - had the plugs out none look 'cleaned by hot water under pressure' - all have a nice coffee colour to the tips, compression tests - plugs 1 = 175, 2 - 7 inc 170 and 8 = 190, fluid in the header looks decidely cooked - the pink coolant is now a murky brown but as it's been diluted by the water added it may just be the addition of rust from the waterways dislodged - can't find any collapsed pipes, no wet in either footwells, no water on the oil dipstick, no mayo on the dipstick or filler cap, - A/C stopped working back in spring but no book symbol..... --- have a CO2 / HC test kit coming tomorrow but not so far a definitive head gasket - need to check water pump etc as well

·
Registered
408 Posts
Re: overheated - comps ok, pipes ok, exhaust gasses in coolant?? test kit coming

Possible stuck thermostat or inop electric fans?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: overheated - comps ok, pipes ok, exhaust gasses in coolant?? test kit coming

yeah fans I have on my list of things as I never heard them on at all & thermostat the next culprit - be good if not the heads `)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Kit came --- blue turned green BOO HOO so heads off tomorrow

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts

Seems to be a pretty common thing...

I'd replace any aging cooling components while you're at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts