RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I know that l332s overhearing is a pretty big topic around here but I’m hoping to gather some thought from all of you. To start i have a 2007 Land Rover Range Rover 4.4. The other day I took it to silver lake dunes for some weekend off roading. During this I allowed one of my good friends to drive the car. She was cautious but obviously sometimes you don’t see things coming. Anyways along the way she must have hit a bump that hit the cooler next to the oil filter causing coolant to spill out all over. This was not noticed for maybe between 10-15 mins Max. During this time I can only assume the car was overheating as after we parked the car turned it off and left it for 10-20 mins, it would crank and almost start but then die or start then die. After fiddling with it I got it start and idle just fine (at this time i did not notice the coolant was gone and had just gotten my car back from my friend and did not think it had overheated). I then decided to head in for the night and then I noticed the temp gauge go up (again car was running fine tho no weird noises or rattles). As soon as I notice the gauge move past middle I pulled over and had my brother pull me out of the sand dunes with his 06 rover. I then had the car towed to a mechanic nearby who will be looking at it later this week. My question for you all is how likely is it that my engine is still ok? I’m very nervous about this and just want to know your thoughts.
Sorry for the long winded question let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
877 Posts
Since you don’t know if or how much it overheated, it’s impossible to say. I can say that if it was significantly overheated the BMW engine does not fair well. Aluminum engines are not as rugged as the old cast iron motors of yesteryears. Cross your fingers and see how it checks out once you have the cooling system sealed back up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I know bmw engines definitely do not fair with heat well but I’m hoping the 4.4 jag is better! I just called the repair place and They said that I need at least a radiator... I’m not 100% convinced that the radiator was broken I thought I looked like the oil cooler.... I’m not fully confident in this place... I’ll update more Once they call me back for the full analysis

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got off the phone with the mechanic. They did find that the rad is ok and that is was the oil cooler that had been cracked. They were not able to tell me if there is engine damage as they need to seal it up first. so I will know either Thursday or Friday (depending on when the part arrives) what is wrong with the car. Hoping I got lucky and that fixed the issue

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
58 Posts
2006 4.4 Jag. I had a coolant hose blow, gauge went above middle. Stopped car instantly and called flat bed. Had hose replaced - no damage to engine. Running great. You have hope.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Since you don’t know if or how much it overheated, it’s impossible to say. I can say that if it was significantly overheated the BMW engine does not fair well. Aluminum engines are not as rugged as the old cast iron motors of yesteryears. Cross your fingers and see how it checks out once you have the cooling system sealed back up.
He has a 2007, that would be the Jag engine.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Noted! But that doesn’t change much. There are no aluminum motors that handle overheating. The problem is aluminum alloys soften and change their properties at 400 degrees, and they are already running some areas of the heads and pistons near those temps in normal conditions. There just isn’t much buffer, compared to iron heads that can survive a blip to 800 degrees or so. Anyway...crossed fingers it didn’t get hot!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
123 Posts
The software on these cars protect it from major damage most of the time. All kinds of warnings and limp modes happen when something like losing fluids causes overtemp situations. You may be fine. In fact the failsafe type software can be annoying. For instance, I had ONE coil failing out of 8 of course and the car went into limp mode despite having 7 good running cylinders. It makes you basically STOP and fix it regardless how far you are from repairs or parts. Good luck and maybe just replacing that cooler and replacing fluids will get you going again..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I’m glad to hear about the warnings and fail safes bc the shop I took it to said it had all sort of errors and a tran fault which I know for a fact that trans was in pretty much perfect shape for having 134,000 miles on it. I believe they cleared the errors so assuming most will go away once it’s all fixed hoping for the best will keep y’all updated on this journey!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts