RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever come across one of these Rangi's conversions with the 5.7 v8 motor and GM automatic trans?

Scotty

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Nope.

Pretty sure they retained the RR tranny though, just beefed it up a bit (it still was prone to breaking often).

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich has a post I just found about this conversion back in Jan. 2008, I guess he was looking at a purchase at that time. Back in 1982 Overfinch produced these conversions with the 5.7 v8 and GM trans the engine had carb. on it. Here's my deal I love the P38 body design and Cabin. I love the EAS system, I don't care for the rest of it any of it.
So looking at my engine oil issue as posted a few days ago and BCM/electrical issues that arise from time to time, I really am thinking of gutting the whole thing and starting over. HUH. :shock: :shock:
I have three other cars to drive.

Scotty

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
We've been talking about doing this since...forever. The easy part is mating the GM engine/tranny to the transfer case. The hard part is getting it all to work electrically. I think you should go for it...pave the trail for us. My rig currently has 167k miles on it, and when the engine blows I would much rather drop in a LS1.
There's a rumor of a guy who did it on his 02ish Discovery, but I've never seen any pics of it.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Overfinch used a GM transmission on some Classic conversions.

All Overfinch P38s had the ZF gearbox, even the 630R(400bhp/457lb ft).

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the electrical is going to be the challenge, but know a guy who restores early corvetts and the 55,6 and 7 chevy's he's really great at this sort of thing, I also have a friend who owns a Rangi shop, so if the three of us can put our heads togeather I thing we can make it happen and keep it really clean.
:think:
Scotty

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Just be sure to be able to duplicate the engine/tranny mounts. Whoever makes a all in one package to drop in a SB Chevy with the wiring know how will surely sell a few.

I know I would absolutely love my Rhino if it had 400 hp...give or take.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i'll start doing the research, i'll get the best info avail. and post, to see what you and the rest of the guys think.
Thanks mag.

Scotty

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
scott,
let me know if i can help mate. i have been known to do a few chevy swaps in my time... :thumb:
from what i have figured out, so long as the rr sensors can be used to give the becm what it needs, all will be good. we have done the same thing in jeeps a few times. chevy sensors for the chevy ecm, and jeep sensors for the gauges etc.
i would go for a 4l60 or 4l80 tranny to ensure no tranny issues. some models came with a drivers side drop 231 t/cases that are electronically shifted, so you could use the range rover switch on the shifter to power the transfer case motor.
i would go for a new rear axle to handle the power, and do away with the offset diff. an axle swap will be a piece of cake. yota axles spring to mind... :thumb:

martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey martin how ya doin, thanks for the advice I will let ya know when I get it all togeather. Hey you home for the long weekend?

Scotty

·
Registered
922 Posts
The easy part is mating the GM engine/tranny to the transfer case.
the blokes who did the LS1 conversion in the UK had a special bell housing cast and machined... they adapted the Rover sensors to the EFI LS1 which was then converted to LP gas... The LS1 torque in low range would be amazing... :p

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The additional HP is a perk for me i'm really after the reliabilty thank you Hoges for the info..

Scotty

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Scotty said:
Hey martin how ya doin, thanks for the advice I will let ya know when I get it all togeather. Hey you home for the long weekend?

Scotty
yes sir! got home thursday evening, leave out tuesday 1st thing, then will be back home a week today for a few weeks off.
i have a bare frame jeep that needs, funnily enough, a chevy motor/tranny installed! i already did the work on the transfer case (front half 231c hd, rear half 231j), and dropped a ford 8.8 in the rear of it. so i have that to get the body on, all new wiring, brake lines etc and then get it up n running.
then i have a 4:1 kit for my transfer case in the xj, along with some chromoly axle shafts and ctm u joints for the xj's front axle. relaxing time huh? :lol:

martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like a good time to me !!!

Sc :clap: otty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts