RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to use local Land Rover dealership ( Land Rover velar Macomb Michigan) for various reasons including oil change.
After sitting for nearly one month in the dealership I got the car back and after 10 minutes driving I was getting bad smell from the vents, cuz the headache quite a few times. Call the manager ask for the reason, you never call me back after three days start looking myself check the oil level it says overfilled.
I know it could cause the damage to the engine, but could it cause the smell in the cabin.
I was greatly appreciate somebody's help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
360 Posts
For what it's worth I have a 2016 TD6 Sport and check the oil level quite often. Every now and then is says it's over full when I know it's not. I drive it, let it sit a half hour, check it again and says oil level is ok. Sensor issue?
Depends on the smell. A sour, musty odor is the HVAC. Oil smell is noticeably different. It's possible some oil got on the exhaust or other hot part under the hood when the oil was changed. If that's what it is it will burn off and go away.
There is also a Velar specific forum (model L560) that you may want to follow too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For what it's worth I have a 2016 TD6 Sport and check the oil level quite often. Every now and then is says it's over full when I know it's not. I drive it, let it sit a half hour, check it again and says oil level is ok. Sensor issue?
Depends on the smell. A sour, musty odor is the HVAC. Oil smell is noticeably different. It's possible some oil got on the exhaust or other hot part under the hood when the oil was changed. If that's what it is it will burn off and go away.
There is also a Velar specific forum (model L560) that you may want to follow too.
Thank you , I'll check the oil level again. I appreciate your time writing respond

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,548 Posts
If a motor is overfilled with oil, the crank can contact the oil in the sump and throw up an oil mist which is picked up by the pcv, ingested by the intake and burned by the motor gunking up valves and fouling plugs and smoking out the exhaust. It usually will cure itself when the oil level is returned to normal but it is not great for the motor. To be safe, I would evacuate all the oil from the sump after loosening the oil filter so the oil trapped by the housing will return back to the sump. Refill the motor with the proper amount of oil and sleep better.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If a motor is overfilled with oil, the crank can contact the oil in the sump and throw up an oil mist which is picked up by the pcv, ingested by the intake and burned by the motor gunking up valves and fouling plugs and smoking out the exhaust. It usually will cure itself when the oil level is returned to normal but it is not great for the motor. To be safe, I would evacuate all the oil from the sump after loosening the oil filter so the oil trapped by the housing will return back to the sump. Refill the motor with the proper amount of oil and sleep better.
This... In addition to running an engine with too much oil to the symptoms outlined above... Over filling can and will result in damage of valve seals, basically, all the seals because increased "over-fill" causes too high of operating oil pressure...

I had High-Blood pressure before I changed my diet. No doctor, from Cardiologist, to Endocrinologist, General Practioniers, etc could tell me what the problem was because I'm in shape... Nor did they really care to... They just wanted to put me on medication. Before I figured out the problem (which was ultimately my diet) and simply wanted to add Blood Thinners and Beta Blockers, Diuretics, and ACE inhibitors rather than deal with the real problem. So while under-the-care of these lazy idiots interim I would go and "Give-Blood" in order to reduce blood volume... I'd be good for a month or so afterward sdue to decreased overall blood volume allowed much lower and normal Blood Pressure. I'm still considered young, lift a lot a weights and am an outdoorsman and quite active; and should never have had these problems. It was ultimately corrected by a change in diet... a low carb one at that has remedied all BP problems now. The point of the BP Volume and/or real life Parable above is this: having too much fluid in your system whether biological or mechanical is a problem as it drastically increases "pressure" whether Blood, Hydraulics, or Oil... All of which if left untreated, purged, and checked will blow out pumps, veins, valve seals all the same.

That and the possibility that the idiot adding your oil to the fill/sump simply spilled some excess in/on your engine block/compartment and residue is cooking off... will cause headache's and bad smells in your cabin as well. Because afterall... if an idiot at the dealer doesn't know how much oil to add... can you really trust them not to spill oil too? I think not! Hope this helps...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Igor, which engine do you have? Check the youtube, for example:
Other LR engines are even easier. It is very easy to get the oil out in 3.0 engines, where is very easy access to the valve. I don't know the 2.0 but it might be also the solution. You can use cheap electric pump and adapt the pipes using duct tape etc. than get out some oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts