RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My '95 RRC's in the shop because it died at a bank and wouldn't start up again. They looked at the coil, distributor and fuel pump, but when they took the spark plugs out they noticed a very "rich" fuel smell and a few of the plugs were fouled.

I just read all the posts I could find about using Chevron's Techron fuel additive, but did not find anything about over-using it. I used it for the last three tank-fulls of gas; one bottle per full tank, which I believe is 21.6 gals.

If anyone knows if this is a problem, your reply is appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Use of any fuel additive is not going to cause overfueling. In the extreme it may cause the plug fouling, but that would be doubtful in only less than a thousand miles.

Over fueling would be more sensor based such as a dirty MAF reading incorrectly, poorly performing O2 sensors, perhaps an engine temp sensor reading cold and running rich. Of course if your ignition had failed you would have flooded the cylinders with unburnt fuel trying to start it, thus the rich smell of fuel. I am surprised your shop guy didn't clue in on that. I guess you'd have to figure out what kind of fouling your plugs experienced. Plug fouling is usually a long term issue and only happens short term with a catastrophic failure of something. Oil fouling for instance would be long term unless you have a valve seal fail and large amounts of oil are entering the cylinder.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply - the truck is still in the shop and although I had asked the owner to replace the plugs in a 80K service after I purchased the truck in October of '14 (the truck had 67,600 miles on it then from the original owner), he now admitted that he never did it. So I'm getting new plugs - NGK 7734 - and if they installed cheap spark plug wires last time, I'm going to install the STI-368 wires. Wished I lived closer to a good shop, but there are only two here in the SF Bay Area that "specialize" in RRCs.

I appreciate your help!

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts