RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Looking to get a '10 sport n/a for a good friend of mine. It's a bargain, for a reason...
Seller says it over heats after @40 minutes of driving. I priced it assuming head gaskets, at which time I'd go ahead and do all the timing chain stuff. He'd still be well ahead.
Never had one get hot after 40 minutes though, when a hg was an issue. Thermostat?
I won't get to lay my eyes on it until I get back home, wife is going to go check it out Monday. I have all the tools to pressure test, ir gun, and so on, for when I get home.
Thoughts on the 40 minutes of driving before it gets hot?

Thanks as always

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
434 Posts
If thermostat was stuck - would overheat sooner. Could be small air bubble. Try and bleed the system first. Is coolant tank at right level ? Look at oil (from filter if needed) and under oil cap - any milky residue ? Before digging into head gaskets- get coolant tested for exhaust gas leaks. Not sure if '10 has electric fan - but thermostat for that or fan itself could be kaput ... with AC on - is radiator fan running at idle when warm ?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said, I know how to test everything.
My question was regards to a head gasket failure, but taking 40 minutes to over heat.
I'm not there, so wad just asking if that is a common sign on these for hg, or something else

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Keep in mind that if it needs HGs the heads will more than likely be warped past their machinable tolerance and will have to be replaced completely.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
863 Posts
40 minutes sounds more like rad problems or cooling or circulating the coolant problems rather than head gaskets to me.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Sure sounds like thermostat.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys
Missus went to look at it, it's garbage
Head gaskets were gone, expected.
Was on the bump stops, slow to rise
Windshield cracked
Oil leak
One door won't open
Tailgate won't close properly
Brakes shot
Wet on the driver side footwell
Everything was supposed to be good with it, except suspected hg issue.
I initially haggled to $6k for it, but would be a major project with the other stuff, so offered $4k. They turned it down then called me back in 5 minutes at $5k.
It's still there.
I don't mind motor stuff, and at $6k would have done the heads and timing set..... But it would quickly turn ugly

Martin

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
I think you dodged a bullet!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think so too!
They still have it listed at $8500 if someone is interested:lol:
After looking in an earlier '08, I think he has his heart set on a '10-'12. Major interior difference

Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts