RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
/:( I'm sad to say I had to finally pull the plates and registration off of our beloved Classic, "Sweet Pea". Although in excellent mechanical condition, the body rust and rot had become too extensive for me to feel safe in having my family drive her around any longer.

She was a great vehicle. I have a lot of fond memories of working on her with my sons and off-roading her with friends and family. She's been my constant companion over the past couple years while deployed away from home and family. Always needing a little TLC here and there to keep her running, yet tough enough to make the occasional 1200 mile journey to get me home for a weekend, then back.

Strange the coincidence that I'd see two pristine condition Classics in her same color (Eastnor Green) this same weekend. I'd never before seen one that color, in person, except ours.

Oh well. She's in storage now, parts waiting for my next Classic. I'm in the market for a better start. Same model/year, but a solid rust free body. The rest I can save with the parts from my old friend.

I'll be around. Added another P38 to the fleet recently. Yeah, I know, embrace the horror...

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Im sorry for the bad news. I feel your pain. My Classic is going to have to be made into a trail rig and replaced. Same deal, rust issues are over taking it.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I have to constantly patch and patch and patch. Its getting to the point that I really need a new body. So taking it out of DD use I hope to keep it one the road longer. Staying nice and dry in the garage will help.

I remember awhile back I had to slam on brakes in traffic and the bait bucket in the back flipped over full of bait fish. They all washed out through the big hole behind my seat onto the road. Picture the car in front of you pulling away and all these little fish flopping around on the road. :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am thinking a Frontier or maybe LR3 for a replacment. Not sure yet. Far ends of the spectrum I know but both good vehicles. :think:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chuckles at you and your rust stories. Come to Canada where rust roams on anything metal. 8-0=

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It got so there was really nothing left to rust...

This was taken three years ago when we were making some sheet metal "patches" to, "get her through just one more winter". Even these patches are gone now! :shock:

LOL! Doc That's a classic!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I feel for you. I've got a lifeless BMW 750iL sitting next to the garage that isn't drivable. It reliably drove the family around for 15 years, but it blew a seal in its self-leveling rear suspension (shares hydraulic fluid with the power brake booster and the power steering, making the car undrivable). At least out west here there is no rust, so I have the hope of restoring the car someday.

I'm glad you'll be buying another Range Rover to carry on with. Good luck with that project.

Scott

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
181 Posts
That's gruesome! Here in Las Vegas I don't entirely understand the tinworm either.

Just an hour ago I was back at the breakers to look at a 90 RRC stripped hulk hoping to find a trailer connector. I've even thought of buying it just cuz it was complete. ALAS, they shredded it a week ago when they found out it was aluminum. At least it's distributor live's on /:(

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My trailer connector rotted off a year or two ago...

Sad to think they'd shred a solid Classic... I'm afraid there will come a time when we won't be able to find parts for these buggies anymore. A sad day that will be. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got a classic from California not too long ago, and am also in New England. I've sprayed the undercarriage with fluid film in preparation for the winter, but am considering something more permanent, such as a sandblast/3m undercoat. Do you think applying some sort of undercoating can help protect the body?

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I find my rust free replacement my dream is takin' it here:

http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/waxoyl.asp

The original coating product that came on these LR vehicles. It's held up really well on my P38's. It's pretty spendy but worth every penny in the northeast if your vehicle's well cared for.

It's also sold for the DIY'r here:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/m-19-waxoyl.aspx

Be warned though, the rust that took out my floor pans came from within. The metal was gone and the only thing left was the outer body protection. The rubber insulation that LR put in the floor pans get's and holds moisture and silently rots your floor pans from the inside. A lot of guys pull back the carpet and remove it. For me I discovered this too late.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yep I noticed when i shifted the ecm from the floor to under the dash,the carpet seemed dry but the foam stuff was saturated.Lots of surface rust too on the floor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts