RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With winter fast approaching it was time to revisit the winter tire situation for my SC V8. Almost pulled the trigger last winter on R2's but decided to wait for R3's. Was able to place an order this morning for R3's in the stock size. 275 45 R21's. Bought them through Discount Tire and after a call to Nokian they said the tires would be available for distribution from the US Warehouse of Nokian on November 9th. Already have OEM spare wheels ready to go. Looking forward to having better traction this coming winter as I didn't feel very confident last winter with the Goodyear OEM tires when conditions were poor.

Just figured I would post it up here in the event others were interested in the new model Nokian's for their RR.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just got my 2019 full size RR ATB. The came wthi Pirelli 22” Scorpion Verde M+S tyres. Are these good all season tyres or All terrain tyres for Ohio winter ?
Anyone has these tyres set up in 21 or 22” and let me know if these would be good for winter ?
I couldn’t find any R3 info for 22”” tyre on discount tires website.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was told it would be early December before the 21” would be available in US and they would be over $400 each plus install and tax.

Ended up getting a set of 20” take-off wheels on eBay and Nokian dealer had 255/55-20 R3’s in stock. Nokian manufactures the more popular sizes first and more odd sizes after.

All in price for 20” wheels, tires and TPMS was about the same as cost of just 21” tires and they are on and ready for winter.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
584 Posts
I just got my 2019 full size RR ATB. The came wthi Pirelli 22” Scorpion Verde M+S tyres. Are these good all season tyres or All terrain tyres for Ohio winter ?
Anyone has these tyres set up in 21 or 22” and let me know if these would be good for winter ?
I couldn’t find any R3 info for 22”” tyre on discount tires website.
The Pirellis are pretty good all around tires. You should be fine in Columbus. I would think about a dedicated snow set up if I lived in Cleveland.

Steve

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
463 Posts
I had the older Hacka's on my L322 and they went through anything...I have them on the wifes Cayenne so for the one day before they plow I will just take hers if it's really bad...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cost was $366 a tire per my receipt. I hope they arrive by mid November but if they don't it will still be worth the wait based on all the positive reviews I have read regarding the Nokian winter tires.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just ordered my R3's...255/55/R20 ....should be in next week...$235 each...This time I am just going to mount and unmount each time...my back cannot lift full weels anymore and don't want to deal with TPMS...

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
22 Posts
are these tires really that much better in the snow & ice then the standard good years 20" tires? I have a 2013 hse, this will be my first winter with the rover

·
Registered
463 Posts
are these tires really that much better in the snow & ice then the standard good years 20" tires? I have a 2013 hse, this will be my first winter with the rover
I live on top of a very big hill and the roads leading up to them are pretty steep...with full tread Goodyears the truck gives me some issues...with the Wife's Cayenne and my old L322 the Nokiens really are great...ads much more confidence in the snow...In my biz I am out before many of the plows are picking up employees so we can be open and I really don't think about it...with the Goodyears i was a little less gungho to go out...The other nice thing is by using two sets of tires, each lasts that much longer...In the Tri-state area I run the snows from Nov-End of March...

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
297 Posts
Just ordered my R3's...255/55/R20 ....should be in next week...$235 each...This time I am just going to mount and unmount each time...my back cannot lift full weels anymore and don't want to deal with TPMS...
Do you have any concerns/experience about the speed rating? I think it’s on the lower end (realizing it’s winter and no one is driving 180km/h)
I was about to get the same R3s but was worried that the lower rating might be detrimental in some way to the performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
In The Peoples Republik of New Jersey I really do not have a concern on the speed rating available...I also recognize that the ratings have some safety margins built in to them...I would only be concerned maybe in Germany if we were all so lucky...

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
297 Posts
Totally agree.
I think you’ve made a smart choice! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is timely thread as I was just looking at this today.....this is our first winter with the RR as well and it came with the 20" wheels. I always thought that they looked a touch small on the car but here in NJ the roads are horrid. I was thinking of getting a set of take off OEM 21" wheels for the summer and using the 20" stock wheels for the winter set....does anyone have any suggestions on the best place to find a set of take off 21" wheels? Its the TD6 diesel if it matters.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would look at both North Jersey and NY Craigslist...there are always a few...I am not sure if the RR Sport would work (size and pattern is ok but not sure about weight limit...but prob fine)...but then you need TPMS too...for NJ I actually don't mind the meaty side walls as I drive it in Newark and Paterson and never worry...BTW..the TD6 does not matter..it's what I have...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Picked up my Nokians yesterday...Very pleased with the ride and sound...I really can't tell the difference between these and my Goodyear F1's...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tire Shop called a few days ago and said my R3's had arrived. Have been out of town and just flew home this evening. Looking forward to having the Nokians mounted and put on sometime next week when time allows.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was able to put them to the test in NJ's **** show on Thursday...Fantastic in the snow, great grip on ice...very pleased!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
Picked up my Nokians yesterday...Very pleased with the ride and sound...I really can't tell the difference between these and my Goodyear F1's...
What dealer did you get yours from? I can’t seem to get them in Minnesota.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts