RangeRovers.net Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is why I love RR community! So what is the consensus here on the best option? I have a MY15 RR Autobiography. I am also willing to organize/participate in a group buy if there are any other guys that missed the last one.

Cheers,
D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, did the group but mentioned in this thewd ever take place? I see a few positive reviews of the product - is everyone happy with it or would you steer clear? Thanks!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
3 Posts
Hi all, newbie here, I just picked up a MY13 Autobiography. Very keen on getting a Naviplus installed.
Does anyone who has the unit installed know, if I was say running google maps or waze, could I have the normal radio (no satelite here in Aus) playing while doing so, does it soften the radio volume while giving driving directions?
Any other general impressions of the unit?
Really appreciate any comments/advice.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its hard to tell from the rest of the thread, but will this naviplus work with a 2016 RR sport HSE? Does the touchscreen work, or do you have to change apps on the phone? Any other solutions anyone has found?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm working on getting the NaviPlus system installed on our 16' RR Sport HSE, but I'm having issues with the dumbest thing. I'm trying to run the USB cable from the head unit through the center console into the center armrest storage, but I can't for the life of me get the silver trim removed/any of the center console dissembled to snake the cable through. Does anyone have any pics/diagrams/details on how to do this?

Thanks!

J

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
7 Posts
I've done this with success. Basically you need to remove the rear air con control panel and work back from that to release the silver side pieces. It's too detailed to explain here but if you go to the Topix website and register for 1 hour (about $10) you can download the instructions with diagrams. This is what I did. I am not technically minded at all but managed it without too much bother. Once installed the Naviplus is like OEM. Be sure to to update to the latest software, after that it's a pretty solid experience. Had it for over 12 months now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've done this with success. Basically you need to remove the rear air con control panel and work back from that to release the silver side pieces. It's too detailed to explain here but if you go to the Topix website and register for 1 hour (about $10) you can download the instructions with diagrams. This is what I did. I am not technically minded at all but managed it without too much bother. Once installed the Naviplus is like OEM. Be sure to to update to the latest software, after that it's a pretty solid experience. Had it for over 12 months now.

Since you had it for a year now, would you still recommend Naviplus over OEM? Still think it's worth the money too?

·
Registered
7 Posts

Since you had it for a year now, would you still recommend Naviplus over OEM? Still think it's worth the money too?
Absolutely. It replaces the OEM sat nav button - it becomes android/carplay button. OEM sat nav is an absolute joke imo - utterly pointless if you want to avoid traffic. You can use your phone of course, but then you need to mount it etc. With carplay there is no mounting, and it uses the screen in the car, and UI is designed for the car. It also solved a second problem for me - the car with heated windscreen and solar attenuating glass is a Faraday cage. You cannot get a decent GPS signal for phone navigation - especially with an iPhone. Android is better - it snoops more on local WiFi location signals in cities, but is still not perfect. With naviplus you can additionally plug the car GPS cable into the back of the naviplus, utilising the car GPS antenna in the shark fin on the roof. This then passes very accurate location data to the carplay platform. Note however you cannot access the 4x4 into screen anymore - but just add this as a shortcut and you can access it that way. But compass and attitude data is gone in the 4x4 info screen. So this you will use. I guess it pulls this data from through OEM sat nav. This is the case wether or not you connect the GPS cable. Finally, the reading of speed limit signs will be impeded. It will still read and display the limit but only for around a minute or so. After that, it falls back to using the speed limit data from the OEM sat nav - which is no longer available after installing naviplus. For me, these are minor sacrifices for some modern tech integration. Be sure to get the latest box from naviplus - the old one had slower chips and is not so good to use. And be sure to update both box and dongle to latest version. For me, it's perhaps the best upgrade I made to the car. But I like my tech and like the challenge of getting tech things to work.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Absolutely. It replaces the OEM sat nav button - it becomes android/carplay button. OEM sat nav is an absolute joke imo - utterly pointless if you want to avoid traffic. You can use your phone of course, but then you need to mount it etc. With carplay there is no mounting, and it uses the screen in the car, and UI is designed for the car. It also solved a second problem for me - the car with heated windscreen and solar attenuating glass is a Faraday cage. You cannot get a decent GPS signal for phone navigation - especially with an iPhone. Android is better - it snoops more on local WiFi location signals in cities, but is still not perfect. With naviplus you can additionally plug the car GPS cable into the back of the naviplus, utilising the car GPS antenna in the shark fin on the roof. This then passes very accurate location data to the carplay platform. Note however you cannot access the 4x4 into screen anymore - but just add this as a shortcut and you can access it that way. But compass and attitude data is gone in the 4x4 info screen. So this you will use. I guess it pulls this data from through OEM sat nav. This is the case wether or not you connect the GPS cable. Finally, the reading of speed limit signs will be impeded. It will still read and display the limit but only for around a minute or so. After that, it falls back to using the speed limit data from the OEM sat nav - which is no longer available after installing naviplus. For me, these are minor sacrifices for some modern tech integration. Be sure to get the latest box from naviplus - the old one had slower chips and is not so good to use. And be sure to update both box and dongle to latest version. For me, it's perhaps the best upgrade I made to the car. But I like my tech and like the challenge of getting tech things to work.
Glad to hear this is working out for you! Would you mind posting a video of waze on and then going back and forth to music apps? I am wondering how this works. Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
resurrecting this thread rather than starting a new one. Just had Signature Audio in Scottsdale install the NaviPlus Apple CarPlay modules that I bought some time ago. Was waiting to see if RR could solve the native system connection issues, which were not resolved to my satisfaction. A couple of initial observations. Installers had some initial issues with dip switch positions needed to be used. After a bit of down time waiting for the sun to come up down under the Aussie developers were right on the spot helping solve the issue. Many thanks to them. System now seems seamless, though on first impression the screen resolution is not crisp.

System seems to work great. Waze was running in the background when I left the shop and warned of a red light camera upcoming. There is a bit of flickering on the waze screen, will see about that. Bottom line right now is this is working just like some rental cars I have had recently with CarPlay. Just hook it up and go. The navigation button on the dash now brings up the CarPlay screen with a soft button on the bottom left accessing the apps. First day, but pretty happy so far. Will post some updates after I have lived with it for a while. The install shop has been looking for system like this that integrates into the basic vehicle system. They said this one looks as good as any aftermarket they have found, at least for Rover.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone installed the NaviPlus unit on a RRS with HUD? I was wondering what features will continue work or not work in CarPlay mode?

Thanks.
I looked at the NaviPlus, but decided to go with the Merryway unit for my ‘16 Sport. It should arrive tomorrow, so will post something when I get it installed.

A bit more on this unit at this thread in the full sized forum.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I looked at the NaviPlus, but decided to go with the Merryway unit for my ‘16 Sport. It should arrive tomorrow, so will post something when I get it installed.

A bit more on this unit at this thread in the full sized forum.
Let us know how the install goes... I have been following that thread as well. It seems like the Merryway may be a more involved install than the NaviPlus.

Are you going to install it yourself or have some auto audio/video shop do it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
@[B]sunnygps[/B] - does this improve the rear camera as well? Mine is god-awful! Are we sure this works on the sport too?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I have not installed any of these units yet. I know 2016 HU is better than 2015. I believe the cameras were upgraded to higher resolution ones in the 2016 model year. That’s the one I have.

My feeling is that if your rear camera is of low resolution, the new HU will not make a difference. It will render images at the same resolution.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
694 Posts
I have not installed any of these units yet. I know 2016 HU is better than 2015. I believe the cameras were upgraded to higher resolution ones in the 2016 model year. That’s the one I have.

My feeling is that if your rear camera is of low resolution, the new HU will not make a difference. It will render images at the same resolution.
That's correct, a new head unit doesn't do anything to help the camera resolution. You will need to upgrade the camera itself for better resolution. The Android unit gives you the option of adding an aftermarket camera that has better image quality than the OEM camera. It also allows you to view the camera in full screen mode and you can also add a dash camera to this unit.

121 - 140 of 164 Posts