1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,670 Posts
There are no factory options for Carplay or Android Audio. There are no updates that were produced or that are planned to be introduced.

As far as your interface you pretty much have to get used to it. I vaguely remember some update for an incontrol version that bumped it up to a newer ictp or something. However that was just recently for the 16 or 17 models.

I didn;t see anything in your link that described or showed what is involved with the kit in your link. It says that it comes with dedicated USB port to cable your iPhone too. Quite frankly at $760US / $1000AU, whatever it is should be wireless and effort less.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If I wasn’t trading mine on a newer one later this year, I would be all over this!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing that keeps happening to me is when my iPhone8s is plug in and the radio is displaying the song on the phone correctly be it from my library or Spotify, the music doesn;t play through the cars speakers - just my phone lol!

·
Registered
105 Posts
i sent an email to the company. will let all know what i get back

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here it the reply from my inquiry. Thoughts?

"For that specific audio - Unlike previous 2013-2015 or current 2017+ ones, when our system gets installed, the 4x4i setting gets greyed out and not able to select it. If there was any settings done in 4x4i prior to our product installation, then it will get reset to default. The reason being is due to that the audio head unit in your car has updated software compared to IAM2, and the headunit itself now stores certain car data history. So when our system gets fitted (it takes over the GPS HDD's connection,) the headunit will receive slightly different CAN Information thus it seems affecting the 4x4i to be temporarily disabled. But of course it comes back when our system isn't connected to the headunit (tested).

So this brings out 2 major changes:
1- Navigation menu will direct you to Android OS / Apple CarPlay platform of ours.
2- 4x4i setting will be disabled while our product is being fitted - and we don't reckon this will be fixed down the track.

We had 3 customers with same situation, and despite the fact that they've all chosen CarPlay function over 4x4i , we always advise above info in advance to double check with their preferences."

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree that it looks a bit of a pain, but if you get a fully integrated CarPlay system that utilizes the Range Rover architecture and gives a "modern" interface, it may be worth it. I will be talking with an installer this week. I have also asked the Navi guys to quote me a price shipped to the US. I am hopeful this is the system that Range Rover should have provided. My 2016 interface is clunky at best and really not in keeping with the quality of the rest of the rig

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Looks like a pain in the neck install... View attachment 260866

Atleast for me... I guess I will stick with my 8 inch Samsung Tab S2 mounted on my dash...
Actually, as installs go that looks relatively simple. All clip in connectors ... It really doesn't get simpler than that. The question is, does it really work on L494? I am not gonna be guy #1 on this one. But if someone in socal wants to try it I'm happy to help with the install and film the video for the rest ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I gave up on it for the following reasons

1- Installation might be easy but looks little messy
2- The 2016 and older models have a OEM screen that is not high res and bright..
3- I hate to plug in the phone every-time when I get into the car and unplug when I get out
4- The RRS screen is not positioned high enough-on the dash, for a map screen, you need to look down every often
5- You would lose the instrument panel display for maps ( just the one which shows turns)
6- I have an 8 inch LTE Samsung tab S2 coupled with androidAuto ( connects to t-mobile SYncDrive LTE hotspot hooked to OBD port) which does all the work and works great.. You just need to find a way to properly mount it securely.. I have hacked it to do a wireless charging ( Just buy a wireless charging adapter from amazon)
7-

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had been emailing with the Aussie group that produces the NaviPlus. Carshpopper, I note your issues. They have been pretty responsive and open about their system

Given the videos I have seen and reading the correspondence they sent, it seems that the install is fairly easy (removal of the dash cover) and requires its hardware to be plugged into the RRS head unit. From their description, the 4xi soft button is used to access the Apple CarPlay and is inoperative for the duration of the install. In looking at the information from that soft button it would appear that the graphics showing the power to each wheel along with the compass and altimeter would be lost. Not the end of the world.

The native navigation would be over ridden by the Apple CarPlay version. Thinking that is a good things since the native Nav seems lame.

So the upside is access to a "modern" interface. Noting the screen is not high res but probably enough for its use.

It would seem the other option would be a wifi hotspot in the car to access and display app, etc. That would require, as the note above indicates, another device somehow mounted on the dash with the added issue of getting the sound to the system speakers. I have never used Apple CarPlay so I have no idea of its value. Seems on the face to be an upgrade to the native system. Thoughts?

·
Registered
132 Posts
It would seem the other option would be a wifi hotspot in the car to access and display app, etc. That would require, as the note above indicates, another device somehow mounted on the dash with the added issue of getting the sound to the system speakers.
What do you mean by this. what option you are referring to ??

Adding hotspot to RR or any other car is next to nothing if you use T-mobile SyncDrive. No need to mount to dash as it hooks to OBD port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9sECt8VAVE

Also you don't really need wifi-hotspot to mount the tablet.. You just get a tablet with SIM like Tab S2 or something.. The sound goes to speakers with Bluetooth..

Basically I use the Tab as a secondary display unit. Control navigation and music thru voice commands. It turns on and off when you enter and exit. No hacking or installation required except to mount the tablet. Not sure if this is what you were asking about or some other setup.

Carplay is Apple's in-car navigation app.. It pales in comparison to AndroidAuto. if you have an iphone, then you are pretty much stuck with apple carplay

·
Registered
105 Posts
OK, I'm old and really don't get some of the tech. Having said that, the native interface on the RR is somewhat lame. Frustrated about the InControl app launch (sometimes it knows my phone is plugged in, other times even when its plugged in I get the "plug it in the cubby screen") and the inability of the system to really manage my music. Would love to use Waze as the Nav app. So having said that and having watched the T Mobile video (seems Verizon has the same thing) can you take a picture of how you have mounted your device? And yes, I have an iPhone and Verizon service

·
Registered
458 Posts
looks like a Mercedes or bmw.

·
Registered
105 Posts
a slightly different question about this issue. Does anyone have Apple CarPlay in another vehicle? I don't so I cannot value whether the difference between the native RRS interface and Apple CarPlay is worth it. If someone has that system could you provide a brief review of how you like, whether it works well, do you have traffic reports on the nav, etc? Thank you

1 - 20 of 148 Posts