RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

After test driving it multiple times, I am finally making a decision. But there is one little dilemma; should I opt for a big Range Rover or should I opt for a Sports.

Here is a quick price comparison, as I am either hoping for HSE or Supercharged.
  • Range Rover HSE (price as configured):- $95,000
  • Range Rover Supercharged :- $109,000
  • Range Rover Sports HSE :- $78,000
  • Range Rover Sports Supercharged (SC):- $88,000
The dilemma is that if I opt for RRS SC, I can just add $7K more to get RR HSE which looks better and is more prestige (kinda). But if HSE is deficient is RRS, how deficient is it in the large RR?

If I a somehow opt for RR HSE, why just I don't pick up a RRS HSE and save almost $20K as it already has the same engine?

I know it's subjective and it's a stupid question and either choice would be fine, but the reason for asking this question is to seek your suggestion and what would you do(did) if you are(were) under this situation and are open to either a RR or a RRS?

Hope I can have people at RR L405 read this thread too.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Re: Opt for Range Rover HSE or a Range Rover Sports Supercharged

You're right, it's very subjective.

When I was deciding, this also came up. Ultimately what turned me to the RRS V8SC is...

1. I like the looks of the RRS better than the FFRR
2. The handling on the Sport.
3. I prefer the shift lever on the Sport vs the Knob on the FFRR.
4. I also like the steering wheel on the Sport vs the 4-spoke on the FFRR.

You can't really go wrong with either one. Both are fantastic. This is one of those cliches where it really does come down to what YOU prefer.

Now if you can swing the LWB Black Edition, now we're talking opulence.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You're right, it's very subjective.

When I was deciding, this also came up. Ultimately what turned me to the RRS V8SC is...

1. I like the looks of the RRS better than the FFRR
2. The handling on the Sport.
3. I prefer the shift lever on the Sport vs the Knob on the FFRR.
4. I also like the steering wheel on the Sport vs the 4-spoke on the FFRR.

You can't really go wrong with either one. Both are fantastic. This is one of those cliches where it really does come down to what YOU prefer.

Now if you can swing the LWB Black Edition, now we're talking opulence.

-ThinkMac-
Thank you :)

Regarding the handling; could we say the handling of RRS HSE is also better than a RR HSE ?

I'd definitely go for LWB, when I'll be driven in for my daily commute :)

P.S. Tan interior of yours is the best color that RR can offer in interior ( for me, ofcourse )!

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,429 Posts

I've had my RRS HSE for 3 weeks and have 800 miles on it. I'm very happy with the car. The power is more than enough (this is coming from a drag racer). I am averaging 21 mpg in mixed driving and have no doubt this car will be strong enough to tow my 5000 lb race car/trailer package. I ordered it with the extra duty package which includes active handling and the car does well around curves. If I had to do over again, I would order the same car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I've had my RRS HSE for 3 weeks and have 800 miles on it. I'm very happy with the car. The power is more than enough (this is coming from a drag racer). I am averaging 21 mpg in mixed driving and have no doubt this car will be strong enough to tow my 5000 lb race car/trailer package. I ordered it with the extra duty package which includes active handling and the car does well around curves. If I had to do over again, I would order the same car.
Thank you for your comment.

What's the Extra duty package? I read (Top Gear) that HSE tends to roll-drag a bit and it's roll stabilization is not as good as Supercharged. So if this problem is catered with this package, then that'd be great. Could you may be share a link?

P.S. I have a BMW 650 Gran coupe; and it's considerably fast. I did therefore wonder whether I'd enjoy HSE. Your comment and comparison of a drag racer driving an HSE does help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts

RR HSE is definitely not better than supercharged sport. The sport is much more powerful and has a better steering (assuming HSE is V8 but not SC)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

RR HSE is definitely not better than supercharged sport. The sport is much more powerful and has a better steering (assuming HSE is V8 but not SC)
By HSE I meant V6

·
Registered
531 Posts

I thought they stopped making V6 RR only RRS V6. Also, how come RR more expensive than RRS supercharged, that is definitely not the case here (better leather, better engine, better handling).

·
Registered
744 Posts

In North America, they take out the NA V8 and added the V6 SC for the FFRR.

I believe the took out the base model RRS, so now base model will be the RRS HSE, whereas before, there was base, then HSE.

-ThinkMac-

I thought they stopped making V6 RR only RRS V6. Also, how come RR more expensive than RRS supercharged, that is definitely not the case here (better leather, better engine, better handling).

·
Registered
58 Posts

I had a '14 RRS V8 SC and just got a '14 full-size RR HSE V6SC...

The Sport is a much sportier vehicle, the steering response is much quicker but with that comes a stiffer ride compared to the full-size RR. The full-size RR is one of the best riding cars period! I just drove the new MB S-Class that everyone's been raving about and the full size RR is just as good, if not better ride wise.

The HSE V6 in the full-size is not underpowered in any way...but compared to the V8SC, I feel the difference passing at highway speeds. More revs are required and you hear the engine working, vs the V8 does the job in a quiet manner.

The full size isn't that much of a bigger vehicle inside but the cabin feels a lot more airy vs the sport feels a more cozy. I actually liked the seats in the sport way better but I'm the type of person who always orders the sports seat option if given the opportunity.

If you want something dynamic and feels sporty, get the sport. On the other hand, if you want a magic carpet ride that cradles you and your passengers, the full-size is what you want.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

The Sport is a much sportier vehicle, the steering response is much quicker but with that comes a stiffer ride compared to the full-size RR. The full-size RR is one of the best riding cars period! I just drove the new MB S-Class that everyone's been raving about and the full size RR is just as good, if not better ride wise.

The HSE V6 in the full-size is not underpowered in any way...but compared to the V8SC, I feel the difference passing at highway speeds. More revs are required and you hear the engine working, vs the V8 does the job in a quiet manner.

The full size isn't that much of a bigger vehicle inside but the cabin feels a lot more airy vs the sport feels a more cozy. I actually liked the seats in the sport way better but I'm the type of person who always orders the sports seat option if given the opportunity.

If you want something dynamic and feels sporty, get the sport. On the other hand, if you want a magic carpet ride that cradles you and your passengers, the full-size is what you want.

Excellent write up. That is exactly how I felt about the test drives.
That and the extra 6 months of wait time for the FFRR.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Wow! I couldn't have asked for more elaborated run-down!

My current BMW Gran coupe is an 8 cylinder beast and I definitely love its speed. It's kinda sports car + sedan; kinda best of both worlds. So I guess I'd definitely go for a V8. The choice now remains between a FFRR and an RRS. I also never own an SUV as this would be my first one. My inclination on either an FFRR and RRS would therefore be based on following since ride quality and handling has been clarified:-
  • Resale value; How less depreciated would one be when I sell it after 2-4 years.
  • Unique Exterior design (it's subjective and I'd appreciate your thoughts)
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
329 Posts

Wow! I couldn't have asked for more elaborated run-down!

My current BMW Gran coupe is an 8 cylinder beast and I definitely love its speed. It's kinda sports car + sedan; kinda best of both worlds. So I guess I'd definitely go for a V8. The choice now remains between a FFRR and an RRS. I also never own an SUV as this would be my first one. My inclination on either an FFRR and RRS would therefore be based on following since ride quality and handling has been clarified:-
  • Resale value; How less depreciated would one be when I sell it after 2-4 years.
  • Unique Exterior design (it's subjective and I'd appreciate your thoughts)
Thanks a lot.
Both have really great resale value compared to their competition. In fact, due to the wait I think most are going for what people paid if not more. Obviously, this won't last but someone did a depreciation calculation over 3-5 years and the Rover beat MB and BMW.

If you like the BMW get the RRS, the full size is nice but it is like riding in a soft, warm, cushion of air. Which, don't get me wrong, is amazing, but not the connected drive of a BMW. I prefer the look of the FFRR but I got the RRS due to the fact that I live in NYC and don't want to pay the additional price for parking and considering I got many more options for my price limit.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

I have BMWs since 1997. I can say am BMW driver through and through. Test drove RRS V6SC vs V8SC - advantage V8SC by a mile! Tested the FFRR V8SC... Nice nice, but I gotta have the Sport. I went with the Sport and no regrets. If I had to do it over again, I still pick the RRS V8SC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts