RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After long researching, we have narrowed down our SUV choices. We ideally want a 7 seater which only the sport offers. Even in itself, they aren't too functional. We really like the full sized RR even though they only offer 5 seats, but the v8 and AB is too expensive. I like the 2016 td6 hse. Surprisingly, you can get a CPO 2016 for under $80,000 in the USA. I do have a few questions

1) A few of my colleagues have told me that even the newer RR have high maintenance. I was told front brakes ($1000) and rear brakes ($1000) would cost $2000 at an indy shop. Anyone confirm?
2) How much is oil change at indy shop? I heard $200-300 at least every 7500 miles for oil change.
3) I heard a full tank can get 600 miles on the td6. Is this true?
4) Anyone think the diesel is inferior to the v8? Anything missing on this trim other than the bigger engine?
5) Any other maintenance issues I should be concerned or aware of? People keep telling me these cost a lot to maintain even the "newer" ones are not too reliable.

Getting closer to getting one hopefully. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,147 Posts
V8 has the dynamic response system that the V6 gas and diesel won't have. Helps with body roll in cornering.

Also V8 lets you order active rear locking differential which is not available for V6.

For my sport I ordered ceramic pads for $360 and had the front and rear pads changed at a local tire place for $150 labor. Rotors were fine and will change them the next time. Dealer quoted me $900 for just rear pads and rotors.

·
Registered
952 Posts
you can get a 17 brand new for just above 80k .....
In SoCal? Not likely. Even then, when you sell it on it's pre-depreciated about as much as you've saved not buying an '18. There's no free lunch unless you're planning on driving it into the dust.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have the very vehicle you speak of. It's my 4th Range Rover. I've had every engine offering in the modern Range Rovers. Some answers:

1. I don't know what brakes cost at indy shops but a full brake job can approach $2k at the dealer. The previous gen RR ate brakes as early as 15-20k miles, this one I still have plenty of brakes at almost 30k miles.

2. again oil change at indy shop no idea, at a dealer it's $200-300

3. 600 miles on a tank, possible. I have.

4. I personally prefer the diesel of all the RR engines, and I've had them all.

5. Mine has been zero to low maintenance first 2.5 years.

I've been on this forum 13 years and the debate over dealer brakes vs indy shops has been had many times. Yes you can get brakes done cheaper elsewhere. And yes there is a difference between Joe's auto shop putting on new pads and having a dealer do a complete brake job. Whether that's worth it to you on a 100k vehicle, your call.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In SoCal? Not likely. Even then, when you sell it on it's pre-depreciated about as much as you've saved not buying an '18. There's no free lunch unless you're planning on driving it into the dust.
Not sure about California ... But Florida dealers are taking 10k off ...

Rather have a brand new 17 with 4 year warranty than a 16 with CPO ..

but thats just one mans opinion :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there must have options on the diesel in your opinions? I think Vision Pack is the one is like with the cameras. And blind spot warning. Can’t believe cameras aren’t standard on this car. Not sure anything else

What is the driver aid feature you mention in the 17? Is that the same as the Driver’s Assistsance Package that parallel parks?

·
Registered
952 Posts
The vision pack is useless on my 2016 because the screen is too small to see any details and the camera resolution is terrible.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are there must have options on the diesel in your opinions?]
I went with the base with a tow package only --- just because of price .... Would be nice to have all the other toys but to be honest I never use anything other than cruise control...

Very happy paying 82k off a 93k sticker.... truck is great - the TD6 is the perfect match IMHO ..

540 miles on a tank ..... thats almost double from the Land Cruiser V8 !!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts