RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished rebuilding a v8 4.6 which had been stood for a good while, last week I started it up for the first time, and have started it up a few times between.

Each time I have started it up it starts with no smoke at all then once it gets warm quite big clouds of white smoke/steam come out of the exhaust. This has had me a bit worried that it may be a cracked block allowing coolant into the engine. Today I got to drive it for the first time (as I had finished the brakes) I started it and let it warm up on the drive the clouds appeared then died down after a while (died down but still very visible) - I drove up the road after 100 yards I couldn't see any smoke and after a 2 mile test drive I came back and left it idling on the drive and no more smoke/steam came out of the exhaust. I left it for 5 mins or so just to check.

I then left it off for an hour or so, then tried it again it started perfectly with no smoke/steam then after about 30 seconds started with the clouds of steam again.

I know that the exhaust system had a fair bit of water as when we got it I noticed that the middle box was rusty on one end and it was wet rusty and occasionally drips. The header pipes were off and water was getting in through the washer jet hole in the bonnet (whether that would find it's way into the downpipe I don't know??)

The coolant doesn't appear to be going down, it's not overheating, the spark plugs look OK, it starts perfectly.

So the only problem is steam coming from the exhaust if left idling from startup.

So what are your opinions? The water dripping from the exhaust box is water - it's clear and has no taste unlike the coolant which is red and tastes nasty! Would coolant that has been through the combustion process still taste like coolant etc or would that bit be burnt off?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
on the rigs I have rebuilt there I have failed to drain the block prior to removing the heads. THis dumps a tidy amount of water/coolant into the cat/Y pipe. I took a good 35 miles of short runs my last one to stop steaming. The big thing would be to keep an eye on the coolant level. If it isn't dropping you should be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What all did you do in your rebuild process New rings/pistons hone the cylinders new bearings?

Did you do any head work to the motor?

And what was your reason for rebuilding it in the first place?

The reason I ask is I have built several motors and might be able to help if I know a bit more of what you did to the engine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rrtoadhall said:
on the rigs I have rebuilt there I have failed to drain the block prior to removing the heads. THis dumps a tidy amount of water/coolant into the cat/Y pipe. I took a good 35 miles of short runs my last one to stop steaming. The big thing would be to keep an eye on the coolant level. If it isn't dropping you should be fine.
I am so glad you said that! How does it dump the coolant? Did yours clear and come back or just constantly steam?

urq said:
What all did you do in your rebuild process New rings/pistons hone the cylinders new bearings?

Did you do any head work to the motor?

And what was your reason for rebuilding it in the first place?

The reason I ask is I have built several motors and might be able to help if I know a bit more of what you did to the engine.
It was quite a basic rebuild really - no work done just a bit of cleaning up. I bought it with all the intake stuff and the drivers side head in the boot, previous owner had, had the top hose split which led to overheating, it was notcied quickly as the coolant coming out of the top hose caused the car to steam a lot. He'd tried to get it running by fitting a new radiator and top hose but it was down on compression. He figured it was head gaskets and started to strip it down - then decided it was too much for him and didn't know what he was doing so I bought it off him. The heads checked out as being within tolerance but the gaskets showed signs of blowing between the water jackets and between 2 & 3 on one side, and between 2 and atmosphere on the other side. My idea was to rebuild it as cheaply as possible to make sure it all worked etc.

viperover said:
I hope you used new head bolts and reassembled per spec
Yep - new stretch bolts, holes blown clean first, threads very lightly oiled, and torqued in sequence using a snap-on torque wrench, follwed by the 90 degrees then 90 degrees in sequence.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This might sound really stupid but on a head gasket replacement job I left the power steering line on the pump loose and it leaked when I accelerated, shooting steering fluin onto exhaust manifold, and caused clouds of smoke to billow behind me. So the question is, is the smoke from water or oil ? If you did a rebuild, and had everything checked, it's something external.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steam is coming out of the ends of the exhaust and only when idling after it gets warm following a cold start. So it's not anything external.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lots of water that was absorbed by the Gasahol you filled with? it settles and takes awhile to burn off----Drain fuel and put in fresh---then put old stuff back in gradually.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mine looks like a steam train on cold mornings. Its not uncommon for these things to make clouds lol. Mine however, has been loosing coolant. I'm not sure where though... Plugs are fine nothing is over heating. I need to do a pressure test to see if one of the cylinders is weak. You might consider doing it as well to ensure things are good. If it checks out, just think of your rover as KC Junior. Do you have a video of the steam?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mine since being moved to the UK blows large clouds of steam each time from a cold start.Lasts for a mile or two and then clears.
I am not using any coolant. :pray:

·
Registered
701 Posts
I wonder if humidity has something to do with it? Since you are both in the UK. I live in a very dry climate, idk what your humidity is like, but based on my visit to Ireland I would say its moist...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts