RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of picking one up and would like to know everyones opinion on them. I have three boys and that would make easier for them to get in and out of the truck :)

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
952 Posts
Personally I don't like the look, but you're right it makes it easier with kids.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
remington said:
Personally I don't like the look, but you're right it makes it easier with kids.
Thanks. Yes, I also don't like the look and prefer the clean look with out. It just happens that a guy is selling me a pair for 500 bucks brand new in a box and perfect timing for me and it will help my youngest a 6 yr old get in a little eaiser on the truck.

Also are there any instructions on installation? Searched the forum and no luck.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts
If they are brand new, they should come with instructions.

Make sure are the heavy duty ones with a rubberised coating and not the cheap frame ones with a plastic covering.

There should be captive nuts already in the chassis, if not the kit should have them. They just hammer into exisitng holes.

Each runner board has two brackets. Use blocks of wood, or something similar, to position them correctly before bolting them on.

If they come with integrated front mud flaps, then there is a littel more work involved in fitting the brackets for these in the wheel arches, but still a DIY job with a bit of care.

Good luck!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
garioch43 said:
If they are brand new, they should come with instructions.

Make sure are the heavy duty ones with a rubberised coating and not the cheap frame ones with a plastic covering.

There should be captive nuts already in the chassis, if not the kit should have them. They just hammer into exisitng holes.

Each runner board has two brackets. Use blocks of wood, or something similar, to position them correctly before bolting them on.

If they come with integrated front mud flaps, then there is a littel more work involved in fitting the brackets for these in the wheel arches, but still a DIY job with a bit of care.

Good luck!

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. :thumb: I appreciate the tip :)

Mike

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
Running boards were already installed on my FFRR when I purchased it. I was not necessarily keen on them at the time, but have grown to appreciate them since it does make it easier for my two boys to climb in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you don't want it, let me have it for $500. Cheapeast quote I got was about $1500 installed from LR Cerritos. My 6 year old boy and 4 year old girl are asking for the steps...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Hey Mike, normally you should also be able to download fitting instruction pdf's for most accessories (and manuals, etc.) from the owner info web site, but I have been unable to access that site for days, Land Rover must be doing some major overhauling or spring cleaning as it's never been down this long... www.ownerinfo.landrover.com :think:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The above will only be on my server for about a week so please download and save if you need it. Its in RAVE if you have it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
petery said:
It looks too hard, maybe $1500 install quote I got from LR Cerritos is not bad... :)
I got my local INDY to install my new Steel Steps for £95.00 for 1.25 hours work! Exactly the same as the OEM Install but I had already installed the stand alone front mudguards.

$1500 is a major rip off but I would not attempt it unless your are confident about being under the car without a garage ramp....

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Well, in fairness to LR Cerritos new boards alone retail for about US$1200 around here (and that's on the low end), add taxes and an hour or two of labor... It's not a ripoff, unless that $1500 quote is for labor alone, of course. 8-0= The ripoff is the cost of the running boards, but that's not the dealer's fault.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gazellio said:
I have created A pdf manual from my RAVE:

http://www.garyelliott.co.uk/ranger/steps.pdf

Thanks!!! I just downloaded it :thumb: Much appreciated.

Well, I picked it up right after work and got it for 500 bucks. I think I scored on this one and lucked out :dance: as it was brand new in the box just like he said.

Umberto - I dont know how you do it :) from downtown LA to West LA took me 1 hour and half to get there :) Now, the fun part was driving home which took 2 hrs from West LA to San Dimas :-(

Thanks a lot fellas! Just resting up a bit and will be installing them right after dinner :thumb:

Mike

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
petery said:
If you don't want it, let me have it for $500. Cheapeast quote I got was about $1500 installed from LR Cerritos. My 6 year old boy and 4 year old girl are asking for the steps...
Sorry but I will be installing them. If you look on local listing like craigslist or flea bay you might see some from time to time. It took me 2 weeks of searching and waiting before I got this one.

Goodluck.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gazellio, where did you source your steps?
They look great, I was leaning towards the side bars for appearance sake... but from reading other posts they really can't serve as a safe step.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
mdh said:
Gazellio, where did you source your steps?
They look great, I was leaning towards the side bars for appearance sake... but from reading other posts they really can't serve as a safe step.
Fleabay:

Alan, ScotspeedUK [[email protected]] - no listing I can find at the moment so email him (next day service):

Also at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RANGE-ROVER-L322-02-STAINLESS-STEEL-SIDE-BARS-STEPS_W0QQitemZ190378609506QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2c53730b62#ht_4920wt_939

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Running board installed :thumb: Took about a couple of hours. Instructions that it came with are actually more confusing :-( Three bolts per corner, two mounting points each side. Not to bad for 500 bucks and a couple of hours of your time compare to $1,900 that the stealer were asking. Thanks for all the info guys :)

Attached are some photos of the install.

Enjoy your ride fellas!

Thanks,
Mike :)

click on the link to see more pics.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=10122

1 - 19 of 19 Posts