RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

This topic specific to the 5.0 SC has yet to be posted and I was just curious to see how people feel about ethanol vs non ethanol fuel for the 5.0 SC engine.

In Canada Shell boast non ethanol V91 whereas Petro Canada contains **up to** 10% ethanol.

The reason I'm posting is not to get into a fight about whether it's snake oil marketing or not. I'm posting simply because Petro Canada fuel is on average cheaper than Shell, AND, it offers incentives such as Petro Points as well as various others I'm sure. What does Shell offer? Air Miles and that's it lol.

I've been a long time Petro Canada customer without any noticeable issues or differences in fuel economy when comparing it to the occasional Shell V91 fill up. I like Petro Canada because the points allow me to buy 10 cents off cards which actually do help at the pump but all I ever hear or read is "Shell has no ethanol and that's better than the ethanol blends blah blah blah" but it's always in regards to turbo charged engines, not supercharged which is what we have.

With direct injection engines allowing for more carbon build up in the intake manifolds and combustion chambers would it be better to just buy non ethanol blended fuel for our supercharged engines?

Your thought lads...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey guys,

This topic specific to the 5.0 SC has yet to be posted and I was just curious to see how people feel about ethanol vs non ethanol fuel for the 5.0 SC engine.

In Canada Shell boast non ethanol V91 whereas Petro Canada contains **up to** 10% ethanol.

The reason I'm posting is not to get into a fight about whether it's snake oil marketing or not. I'm posting simply because Petro Canada fuel is on average cheaper than Shell, AND, it offers incentives such as Petro Points as well as various others I'm sure. What does Shell offer? Air Miles and that's it lol.

I've been a long time Petro Canada customer without any noticeable issues or differences in fuel economy when comparing it to the occasional Shell V91 fill up. I like Petro Canada because the points allow me to buy 10 cents off cards which actually do help at the pump but all I ever hear or read is "Shell has no ethanol and that's better than the ethanol blends blah blah blah" but it's always in regards to turbo charged engines, not supercharged which is what we have.

With direct injection engines allowing for more carbon build up in the intake manifolds and combustion chambers would it be better to just buy non ethanol blended fuel for our supercharged engines?

Your thought lads...
I'm no gas expert, but I always use Top Tier gas.

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
409 Posts
Interesting question - in general the more ethanol , the lower the energy density and the less mpg. Ethanol also absorbs water faster - so shelf life could be an issue at high concentrations. But e10 versus a no ethanol gas you won't see much difference. Ethanol has good knock reduction properties and as % increases - also reduces emissions. Will it keep your engine cleaner ? Not sure - sulphur content of the base fuel
Is probably something more important to worry about. Not sure if shell Canada or petro Canada would publish those numbers .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts