RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting new rims and tires for my car, cant decide what size tires to go with, 295 30 22 or 305 40 22, or 285 35 22? thanks alot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
everyone seems to be an expert on 22's but i wonder how many actually have them....? hmmm anyways, I think the 285 is plenty big enough and will give you the best look unless you desire a more off road look. in that case go big or go home. But if you plan on exploring the urban jungle 285's are the way to go :thumb: good luck and post some pictures of her when she gets her new shoes!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
CMoore05 said:
everyone seems to be an expert on 22's but i wonder how many actually have them....? hmmm anyways, I think the 285 is plenty big enough and will give you the best look unless you desire a more off road look. in that case go big or go home. But if you plan on exploring the urban jungle 285's are the way to go :thumb: good luck and post some pictures of her when she gets her new shoes!
Doesn't take an expert to know when you reduce tire sidewall and add more rim you lose ride quality, which is unfortunate on a range because they ride so nice on normal wheels/tires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's what everyone said when i wanted to upgrade my 19s to 20s. i went to a 275 55 20 and if anything the ride got smoother. It handles 10x better and looks a ton better too! i recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
CMoore05 said:
That's what everyone said when i wanted to upgrade my 19s to 20s. i went to a 275 55 20 and if anything the ride got smoother. It handles 10x better and looks a ton better too! i recommend it to anyone.
When you reduce side wall the ride gets stiffer, period! Going from 19 to 20 is marginal, when you go from 19-22 it will be a harsher ride. This is true on any car! The overall size of the total wheel tire combo should always remain the same, so when you step up in rim size more often than not that step up means a step down in side wall. Less side wall = less cushion over bumps

Not that I care what you guys do to your cars, I'm just saying.

·
Registered
407 Posts
but you will have better handling with low profiles. i prefer my 22s over my 19s that i use during the winter. Since my RR stays on pavement u cant loose with 22s. Sumitomo HTR sport HP 265/40/22

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
36dbldz said:
but you will have better handling with low profiles. i prefer my 22s over my 19s that i use during the winter. Since my RR stays on pavement u cant loose with 22s. Sumitomo HTR sport HP 265/40/22
Depends on what you consider, "better handling." Yes it will be more planted at speed, but who cares, it's a 6000 pound SUV, its never going to handle well. You lose some turning radius and roughen the ride... As far as range rovers are concerned I think it hurts the handling considering the type of car it is. Mine does just fine on 19's at 70mph on the Mass Pike (bumpy road) 22's on the road would be painful!

Potholes and frost heaves are common here, I have big wheels and tires on my other car and it's a total nightmare navigating the streets... You couldn't pay me to enough to run big bling on a range rover, totally defeats the point of having it IMO.

But we've been down this road before...

Maybe the mods can make a wheel forum so the main forum isn't constantly inundated with bling tire/wheel combo questions.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently changed from 2003 with 18" to 2007 which already had 22" wheels fitted with 295 /30 tyres. Wouldn't have gone this extreme as a first choice, but got a good deal on it. Ride is a lot firmer as expected but I actually like it. Anyway, some pics (flame shields activated..)

·
Registered
90 Posts
First off...to each one his own. If you feel you have to go this route, you should. You have to drive it.

But I honestly fail to grasp why one would want to ruin the ride of one of the most comfortable vehicles on the road today with a set of giant rims with a thread profile painted on them with Rubson.
The fact that I find the looks totally naff is a personal issue.
But the bearings and rubbers were never designed to take this kind of punishment. Furthermore, the offroad capabilities for which the RR is famed are reduced to nothing. And vibrations in the driveline will no longer be absorbed by the system, and translate to a tremor noticable when standing still whith the gearbox engaged.

:crybaby2:

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
" Nice wheels initt Mr , got any £10 wraps ? "

·
Registered
196 Posts
Peter R. said:
axle said:
" got any £10 wraps ? "
Sounds like a really expensive burrito :D
I see your point one is a tad rusty on the etiquette of purchasing once recreational pharmaceuticals :oops:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Peter R. said:
First off...to each one his own. If you feel you have to go this route, you should. You have to drive it.

But I honestly fail to grasp why one would want to ruin the ride of one of the most comfortable vehicles on the road today with a set of giant rims with a thread profile painted on them with Rubson.
The fact that I find the looks totally naff is a personal issue.
But the bearings and rubbers were never designed to take this kind of punishment. Furthermore, the offroad capabilities for which the RR is famed are reduced to nothing. And vibrations in the driveline will no longer be absorbed by the system, and translate to a tremor noticable when standing still whith the gearbox engaged.

:crybaby2:
Well said.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Personally I'd go with 425/10 ZXR 28's. Or possibly even 485/05 32's. Or just go with 35x15 inch wheels and forget the rubber.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can you retrofit cement truck wheels to a range rover? I bet that would look dashing! It is a generational gap preference. I don't know many 40 year old hombres who enjoy i clean set of 22's but i certainly know a lot of 25 year old guys who do!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow some of the people on this forum are ridiculous... stock wheels blah blah blah blah. just shut up. :shhh:

To the OP, the correct size you want is 285/40/22.

295/30/22 is way to thin, it will look like rubber bands.

305/40/22 is way to wide, you will follow every groove in the road.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have any of you guys actually driven your Rover with a larger, performance oriented tires and wheels? It's funny how everyone who has, comments on improved handling and ride...

Any experienced driver should be able to tell you that larger wheels do, in fact, improve the safety and handling of your car. One of the most important things when driving your car is how well it handles. Handling determines how well your car responds when you turn the steering wheel, and whether it will go where you want it to or veer off in another direction because the car wheels are unable to grip the road surface properly. Handling is most important when traveling at high speeds because you might need to react quickly in the event of an emergency, and without proper handling, you might not be able to turn your car in the direction that you need to go fast enough.

Another aspect in which having larger wheels definitely helps is when it comes to braking and stopping. The length of time it takes for your car to come to a complete stop is dependent on the amount of friction present between your car wheels and the surface of the road. Having larger car wheels will provide a greater area of contact between your wheels and the surface of the road, thus allowing your car to slow and come to a complete stop more quickly than with smaller wheels. This is particularly important if you have to stop to prevent from hitting an obstacle or to avoid an accident.

Finally, larger wheels also provide for a smoother and more comfortable ride than smaller wheels. This is because larger wheels are not as prone to falling into depressions in the road, and they simply ride over bumps that smaller wheels would take more effort to get over. If you find yourself in your car often or you have to travel long distances to and from work on a regular basis, then the degree of comfort offered by your car while on the road is definitely something important to you. With larger wheels on your car, you would be able to cruise over potholes and other imperfections in the road while cars with smaller wheels would be bumping up and down, jolting their drivers to no end.

Thus, when it comes to wheels, size does indeed matter, and the you would do well to purchase larger car wheels for your car, so as to improve the overall comfort, handling, and performance of your vehicle.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You guys are not taking into account unsprung weight and changes in the overall diameter. A larger wheel will adversely effect handling, braking, and acceleration if you increase the unsprung weight with a heavier wheel\tire package. A larger wheel will improve the ride only if you increase the total diameter of the wheel/tire and keep the sidewall height static. 275\55-20 tires are 32", which is 2" bigger in diameter than stock, so the sidewalls are probably about the same height as the 255\55-19's - I would have to check a tire calculator to verify. So, I would believe that they ride as smooth as the 19" wheels. There is a very good selection of AT tires in 275\55-20, so I am intrigued that they fit.

I could see a wheel\tire package with a short sidewall as handling better if the total weight is about the same. You also have to take into account the suspension and brakes, and what impact the extra weight is going to have. A lot of cars\trucks get sloppy very fast with heavy wheels\tires. My Cayenne GTS's suspension was designed for 21" wheels, and it handles phenomenally with its 295\35-21's. I'm currently running 255\55-18's, which are the same diameter. It still handles well, but there is a lot more float and flex in hard turns due to the increased side-walls and going from a Max Summer tire to an AT tire. However, the GTS is noticeably quicker and gets about 2-3mpg better gas mileage, because I dropped 20lbs+ at each corner. I can now take it offroad and bomb pot-hole strewn city streets.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts