RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

really quick one for you, i need to replace my thermostat, phoned the main dealer they quoted £60 for the entire thermostat and housing.

Phoned an independent motor factors they quoted £6 for just the thermostat mechanism and said you should be able to open the housing up and replace

Question: is this possible ? i have looked at the thermostat housing and it looks like it is joined in the middle but i couldn't see any easy way of opening and didn't want to break it just yet trying

your experience is much appreciated

Ian

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes it is. Use a junior hacksaw and cut around the join line. You can then use a lower temperature thermostat. Whe you reseal it drill six evenly spaced holes around the circumferance and use stainless self tapping screws and silicon sealant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks nipper

I will give it a go and see, just a little concerned about making it totally water proof again if it is not designed to be taken apart, but i am up for trying
Will let you know how it goes
Ian

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just order a patent one from rimmer bros http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-PEM101130P about £25.
You wont seal it right and it will leak under pressure these cars need there cooling system looking after to prevent big bills, ie cracked block, warper heads etc.
also do the bucket of boiling water trick to see if it is gone, poor hot water on it and see if it goes through.

onetime

·
Registered
229 Posts
onetime said:
You wont seal it right and it will leak under pressure these cars need there cooling system looking after to prevent big bills, ie cracked block, warper heads etc.
also do the bucket of boiling water trick to see if it is gone, poor hot water on it and see if it goes through.

I opened one and put a lower temperature thermostat in it about 3 1/2 years ago and have had no leaks or problems with it. I wouldn't have said it could be done if I hadn't tried it myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts