RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way I can open the trunk by waving my foot under the trunk? I've seen some people do it with some other car manufacturers. Most recently, my best friend did it with his '14 Mercedes-Benz E Class. Is there such a feature on the Sport?

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
We have it in our new 2014 MB E63 S. You have to wave your foot just right for it to work ... I was showing a couple of 12 year old boys how to get it to work and had them nearly convinced that you had to have one hand on your hip and the other up in the air when you swiped your foot `)

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's not offered on the RRS. You need to either use the FOB, touch the handle on the tailgate, or hit the release button on the dashboard.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I only recently discovered our 2010 MB E550 (and new E63) have another feature I really like. I found out we had this by reading the MB forums.

It is called the HOLD feature. When you come to a complete stop and have you foot on the brake, you can then give the brake a quick tap and it will put the car in Brake-Hold. You can now sit at that long traffic light with your foot relaxed and off the brake. The brake lights will still be on. As soon as the light turns green, just hit the accelerator and go. When it is engaged a HOLD warning light is on in the information area right below the speedometer.

Great for long lights or sitting in the stop-and-go school car line waiting for kids. Also good for quick starts as your foot is already waiting at the accelerator!!! Tried it on the Acura MDX and no such feature there. It seems lots of MB have this. Anyone want to test on their RR and RRS?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
It is called the HOLD feature. When you come to a complete stop and have you foot on the brake, you can then give the brake a quick tap and it will put the car in Brake-Hold. You can now sit at that long traffic light with your foot relaxed and off the brake. The brake lights will still be on. As soon as the light turns green, just hit the accelerator and go. When it is engaged a HOLD warning light is on in the information area right below the speedometer.

Great for long lights or sitting in the stop-and-go school car line waiting for kids. Also good for quick starts as your foot is already waiting at the accelerator!!! Tried it on the Acura MDX and no such feature there. It seems lots of MB have this. Anyone want to test on their RR and RRS?

Most cars now have a form of hill start which holds the brake on for a few seconds when pulling away to prevent the car rolling back, (perfect hill starts every time !!!) but this feature takes it further and is a great feature, My wifes late 2013 VW Touran has hill start so next time I drive it I will be having a play (with a slap and a what are doing to my car from my better half lol!!!!). Wonder if the newer RR has this feature as a lot of cars now use the same or similar brake systems by Bosch etc...

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
222 Posts
Going off topic a bit umbertob but it seems what Mercedes has now, other manufacturers follow a few years later when all the problems are sorted. I guess most people said the same about the jamming when Hill start assist came out but we are all used to it now, Have to see what Merc have next up their sleeve!!!

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
I only recently discovered our 2010 MB E550 (and new E63) have another feature I really like. I found out we had this by reading the MB forums.

Not sure if you know this but Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist gets you to the same place. It stops and holds the car when the traffic stops and all you need to do is give the accelerator pedal a little kick to get going again. Agree the Merc thing being really cool but the queue assist thing is (scary) awesome in the RR(S) also.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not sure if you know this but Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist gets you to the same place. It stops and holds the car when the traffic stops and all you need to do is give the accelerator pedal a little kick to get going again. Agree the Merc thing being really cool but the queue assist thing is (scary) awesome on the RR(S) also.
The Mercedes system is different, once you come to a full stop, you can press extra on the break to have it engage the hand brake. sometimes it doesn't work though, you have to move a bit and stop again, can get frustrating (tested in G63). RRS does the same by pulling the hand brake, by pressing on the gas it automatically dis-engaged.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
HOLD is not like hill start. Interesting that hill start on the E550 never worked that well and the car will roll, but now I can use the HOLD feature to do the same thing.

Totya, I don't think the ACC w/QA would work when you are the first car at a traffic light. I'm old school and never use CC ... my husband who loves CC thinks I'm crazy!

Ibraheam, the HOLD works every time on the E550 and just getting to try it on the E63 and seems to be the same. Lot of guys on the MB forum seemed to have trouble the first few times, but once figured out, it works consistently.

The Acura MDX officially became the teen/spare car this past week due to the teenager passing his driving test with flying colors. I am driving husband's "old" E550 until the RR comes in in January, at which time we'll sell the E550. Can't come soon enough, as I much prefer the height of an SUV. This week hubby is away so I get to play with the new 2014 E63 S ... very similar to the E550 but much much quicker and steady with AWD ... I need to find places to drive to this week :dance:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts