RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all further to my woes plugged the rig into faultmate and it went into closed loop no problems and then as i revved it it came back with open loop due to condition any ideas would be helpful. no fault codes showing and running quite well but for the backfire, also have quite alot of smoke out of the exhuast a blue colour when revved.
anyhelp would be great.
onetime

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Blue smoke is unburnt oil, you must be going through lots of oil

Open Im assuming you are refering to O2 sensors......?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bad open does occur during acelleration, oil i am going through some, but i think it is comming from the rocker/valley gasket going to do soon, as for comming out the exhaust is there any fix other than a rebuild of the piston rings. It seams to be intermittant. any ideas would be a helpful.
onetime

·
Registered
361 Posts
When you rev the engine does the blue smoke clear if you keep it revved or is it continuous? Does it only blow blue after it has been sitting idling for a while or does it do it any time? Another thing might be to pull out your spark plugs and check to see if any of them are black and oily - as opposed to clean, dry and light brown. These are just things that will maybe help to show where the problem might be - or not be.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, it usually after it been sitting for a while at idle, i have had the spark plugs out recently the were a liitle bit black but mainly dry.
cheers
onetime

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Im taking it for granted the motor has never been opened, I'd say valve stem seals have hardened and cracked letting oil through where it runs down the valve stem.
If not corrected you will suffer untold misery as it will start to misfire from carboned up valves.

·
Registered
361 Posts
That´s exactly what I was thinking - hence the questions about only after idling. My daily driver Honda saloon does it a little also. I assume that the oiling-up is causeing the O2 sensor problem also - am I correct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts