Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having trouble the last couple of days starting my 2000 HSE 4.6 RR. Turn the key all the way on to start it, and all the electrical comes on--lights, windows, radio, everything works, but the engine won't turn over at all. However, if I rapidly turn the key completely on and off about ten times, the engine starts up just fine. If I shut off the engine after starting it like that--and then try to start it again, it starts right up without having to do the on/off with the key again.

Any ideas about what's causing this problem with the ignition? I know it's not the battery--I had it checked, and it's got a full charge.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Two things spring to mind. First off "I know it's not the battery..." means nothing.You may very well have a full charge, however if you ahve a weak cable, dirty ground or lame connection a "full charge" battery does you no good. Run through the electrical stickie above.

Second is that you could have a weak fuel pump. Try turning the key to the ignition position and letting it sit while you get comfy, put on your seat belt etc the try starting. If the 5 -10 second wait allows a start each time you might start looking at fuel pump issues.

Third issue that just sprang to mind is a dirty ignition. Beating the crap out of your ignition switch may be "cleaning" the contacts enough to allow a start.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts