RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

This is an EAS problem that I have had going on now, for over a year, and I have read through pages and pages of EAS problems and remedies on this site and others, unfortunately, the problem remains...

2002 P38.

The front of the vehicle "leaks" down or "lowers" over varying amounts of time, sometimes within an hour or so, other times overnight, but the result is the same, the front of the vehicle (left and right) is completely down, the rear is at whatever height it was left at (left and right). Sometimes, and I do mean just sometimes, the left front of the vehicle seems to lead the lowering of the right-front, meaning, the left front might be a little lower than the right front until the bump-stops are reached.

History...

All 4 air-springs have been changed
Every 6mm nylon airline has been changed, every one.
Every o-ring in the entire EAS system has been changed.
3 Valve bodies. 1st was the original, rebuilt it and the problem persisted. 2nd from Ebay, installed it and the same problem existed. Rebuilt that valve body with an o-ring kit from Rover Renovations and problem persisted. Wondering if this is a reletivly common problem I got another valve body from Ebay, and, same problem, rebuilt that one with an o-ring kit and the new diaphragm from Rover Renovations, still the same problem.
Switched the two front height sensors from left to right as per various post on here has suggested doing (to use a new section of the sensor), problem remains.
I have the calibration software and have over the last year become really quite comfortable with the whole calibration thing, including making measuring tools to perform the calibration, problem remains.

I have checked every joint... in the springs, tank, dryer and valve block for leaks with soapy water, no leaks. There have been suggestions that this is a non-return-valve (NRV) issue, so when I have changed those o-rings (valve body( I have paid great attention to them to ensure the integrity as best I can. I have also "re-faced", or "re-surfaced" the valves in two of the valve-bodies to remove those very small dimples, still, the leak-down persists. It has been a while since I have removed the relay from beneath the drivers seat, but on previous occasions when I have done that, the leak-down/lowering has occurred.

One clue might be that sometimes the tank has an air-charge and other times it dosn't, meaning, sometimes the vehicle will rise quickly as it uses the reserve air in the tank, and other times the tank appears to have lost its pressure. (There is no leak from the exhaust port of the valve body when the EAS pump is running, and no detectible leak from that port when the vehicle is shut-down).

So, here it is, sitting on the bump-stops in the front and "up" in the back. I would like to add that this is one of two P38's, on the other I have changed air-springs, and rebuilt that valve body without a single problem at all, so, my thoughts are that this is not something I have induced as a result of this work.

I am starting to move toward theories about sensor(s) or ECU (the controller in the EAS box next to the pump has been changed with each valve-body).

Anyway, your thoughts and theories would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that this is not a leak problem at the springs, tank, valve-body (6mm nylon line connections) or dryer, all of those connections are good.

All the best, Steve

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Hi Steve,

Have you removed the delay timer to ensure this is an electrical issue? I believe it is, because the airtank is sometimes drained, this is an indication of electrical lowering.... it's possible there's a small leak that you can't find easily.

The new airsprings, are they the bellows only or complete units?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know with mine if it sits not level "hill" or "slope" when parked the truck seems to lower itself
all the way to the bump stops. Not sure why though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Dennis,

It has been a while since I have removed the relay, which is something I need to do when the vehicle returns, right now it is away for a few days. However, when I have removed it before the leak-down/lowering has occurred, which has lead me to remain stuck on valve body, lines, o-rings and springs, but, now, after having changed all of that...

Reference air-springs: Complete springs, not bellows. Reference air-leak... I am 99.99999999999% certain that there are no air leaks. I have replaced every o-ring, nylon line and air spring in the vehicle, and have checked all of it with soap water, no leaks.

The vehicle is parked on a level surface when the front leaks, or lowers, down.

Steve

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
interesting... if the relay is out, there is no way for it to self-level so it's a physical leak. For that leak to remain after changing everything is very odd....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts